"Runtime setting type:" limited on ECT timer panels.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Runtime setting type:" limited on ECT timer panels.

Jump to solution
jgirard1
Contributor III

I am working with Processor Expert in CodeWarrior 5.1 for S12(X) processors.  My target is 9S12XA256.

The "Runtime setting type:" option in the ECT timer dialogs seems to be limited to "fixed value" only.  This option normally allows you to select the options: fixed value, from a list of values or from a time interval.

I have Processor Expert in "Expert" mode.  I have tried many different timer combinations, single, multiple, shared, etc. and I never get the full options for the ECT as the source when I use Capture or FreeCntr.  If I use TimerInt bean, then I get the full range of options.

I don't see why I couldn't alter the capture range during runtime if I wanted to, or change the rate of a FreeCntr compare timer.  Basically, I want to dynamically modify the prescaler settings for Capture operations to extend or compress my time window to optimize resolution.  Based on the frequency of the incoming pulse, I want to scale the Capture according to get the best resolution.

Is there some reason this setting would be limited for the Capture and FreeCntr beans for my application?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Petr_H
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's a limitation of the Capture and FreeCntr that do not provide this functionality. If the user needs this to be available during run-time, it's necessary to do it in user code by directly accessing the registers.

The coverage of the timer peripheral features has been improved in the newly designed set of components called Logical Device Drivers, however, these components are available only on Kinetis Microcontrollers.

best regards

Petr Hradsky

Processor Expert Support Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Petr_H
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's a limitation of the Capture and FreeCntr that do not provide this functionality. If the user needs this to be available during run-time, it's necessary to do it in user code by directly accessing the registers.

The coverage of the timer peripheral features has been improved in the newly designed set of components called Logical Device Drivers, however, these components are available only on Kinetis Microcontrollers.

best regards

Petr Hradsky

0 Kudos
vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I have passed your request to developers to consider its support. I will let you know their decision soon.

best regards

Vojtech Filip

0 Kudos
jgirard1
Contributor III

Hi.  Any news on getting the S12(X) FreeCnt component updated to disable events by masking the timer interrupts?

0 Kudos