Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMII interface with MII Management Bus

Jump to solution
Jeinstei
Contributor II

Hi-

We have a Micrel chip that runs with an RMII interface with an MII management bus. Do the ReadMII/WriteMII/GetMIIResult methods work? They say that they only work in MII mode, but does this mean that they only work if the Management Bus is enabled?

Thanks,

Josh

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
LadislavVadkerti
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

yes, they work in both modes, MII and RMII. Historically there was a third mode (currently hidden), which did not have a management bus. Without that mode the hint is confusing and it should be changed. And, of course, if you disable the management bus, the methods are also useless. Thank you for pointing out.

Ladislav

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jeinstei
Contributor II

Thanks for the help with this! I guess our Management Bus is having its own problems then; I'm going to have to look into this!

0 Kudos
LadislavVadkerti
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

yes, they work in both modes, MII and RMII. Historically there was a third mode (currently hidden), which did not have a management bus. Without that mode the hint is confusing and it should be changed. And, of course, if you disable the management bus, the methods are also useless. Thank you for pointing out.

Ladislav

0 Kudos
Jeinstei
Contributor II

Ladislav-

There looks to be another problem though. ETHn_GetMIIResult() ALWAYS returns an ERR_OK accroding to the driver, meaning that ERR_BUSY is never returned. This means a manual delay has to be added on register reads.

0 Kudos
LadislavVadkerti
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If the OnMIIFinished event is enabled, it signalizes that the register value has been received. If you turn it off, the GetMIIResult will test the completion flag.

0 Kudos
Jeinstei
Contributor II

Ah-HA! I see it now. Interesting. I appreciate the assistance!

0 Kudos