Processor expert 'm_text' overflowed by 3320 bytes

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor expert 'm_text' overflowed by 3320 bytes

mikeconover
Contributor II

I am using an MKL24 processor with processor expert. I am reading an analog value and then converting it to voltage, which is just a simple multiplication and I get the error below about .text not fitting in region m_text. This seems pretty basic, but it is not working. :smileysad: I tried increasing the space in the ProcessorExpert.ld file, but it seems to be overlapping with some other section of the memory because I get an error in the debug screen. Is 0x0000FFFF the maximum length for the m_text memory section? How do I get around this problem??

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Description

ResourcePathLocationType
region `m_text' overflowed by 3320 bytesTLS_RevA_KL24Z64C/C++ Problem
DescriptionResourcePathLocationType
TLS_RevA_KL24Z64.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `m_text'TLS_RevA_KL24Z64C/C++ Problem
0 Kudos
5 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike,

to check the specific error reason, we need check the your project.

I think the possible problem can be:

1. your code/object size is too big to be loaded in m_text section.

or:

2. there are two object/code try to allocated in same memory address in m_text section.

after you optimize the code, the code size will get smaller, so no illegal access to specific m_text address.

does this answer your question?

Have a great day,
Zhang Jun

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

mikeconover
Contributor II

Zhang,

Thanks for the reply. How do I check if there are two object/code allocated in the same memory address in the m_text section?

Where can I find the code size? I would like to compare after I try the different optimization settings to see how much space I have left. 

Thanks a lot,
Mike

0 Kudos

marek_neuzil
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mike,

You can use .map file to check the code size of your application(e.g. Debug\<project name>.map file in your project in Project Explorer window.

But the configuration of the compiler depend on the toolchain you are using. In KDS 2.0.0 (1.1.1) you can use the following  (Print Size option) options to display the code size in the Console window (ARM GCC compiler):

Code Size settings in KDS 2.0.0.png

Best Regards,

Marek Neuzil

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hi Mike,

we can check object/code allocation in map file. each module code size can be found in map file too.

the total project code size can be check with referring below document.

Printing Code Size Information in Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse

Have a great day,
Zhang Jun

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

mikeconover
Contributor II

I found a setting for optimization in the project properties and that seemed to make the error go away. :smileyhappy: I am a little worried as I still have a lot more math to do for this project and already had problems on the first equation.

0 Kudos