Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8M Nano :- How to boot from USB?

Jump to solution
milav_soni
Contributor III

Hello,

We have build a custom Board which have "MIMX8MN1CVTIZAA" MPU.

I want to boot the board using USB mode, But i don't get any output/log in UART2 debug port.

I have used "0001" logic level in Boot Mode. (Boot Mode 3 to Boot Mode 0 respectively)

My USB OTG is connected directly to USB1_DN(A22)/USB1_DP(B22) signals and another three signals as per H/W guide.

Should i boot from usb pins? what is the correct process for it?

I am using following images to write emmc from usb.

L5.4.47-2.2.0_images_MX8MNEVK

I have tried following command via UUU, But I got error.

sudo ./uuu uuu.auto-imx8mnevk 
[sudo] password for dell: 
uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips -- libuuu_1.4.72-0-g8e9e189

Success 0    Failure 1                                                                                                                                                 

3:10     1/ 1 [HID(W):LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT           ] SDPS: boot -f imx-boot-imx8mnevk-sd.bin-flash_evk 

can You please help me out on this error?

Thank You

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

If the board is being detected by your host PC then the USB connection is correct. You may use the following command:

Windows host pc:
uuu -lsusb

Linux host pc:
lsusb

As for the error you're seeing in the tool, this will be caused because of the uboot version you are trying to use is not compatible with your custom board.

It is recommended to run DDR calibration first  using the DDR tool and then build your own uboot with the correct values for your design.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-8M-Family-DDR-Tool-Release/ta-p/110...

Best regards,
Aldo.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DinhNguyen
Contributor I

Hi @milav_soni ,

I am meeting this issue as your mentioned.

Could you help me write the image file to emmc via USB boot?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
milav_soni
Contributor III

Thank You For your reply.

I am able to write image in to emmc through USB.

0 Kudos
milav_soni
Contributor III

Hello @AldoG 

Thank You For Your Reply.

In terms of hardware, we have just copy eMMC,DDR and MPU Connections in the schematic from imx8m nano EVK (SPF-45699_A2.pdf).

We have used "MIMX8MN1CVTIZAA" MPU ,while EVK has used  "MIMX8MN6DVTJZAA"

We have used "BD71847AMWV-E2" PMIC , While EVK has used "BD71850MWV"

Does DDR4 Calibration needed for flashing images to emmc via USB?

Does DDR4 Calibration needed in mpu booting process?

I have question specific to eMMC.

• Do we need pull up on eMMC(Part:- EMMC08G-T227) data and Cmd line?

Please Suggest me.

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

If the board is being detected by your host PC then the USB connection is correct. You may use the following command:

Windows host pc:
uuu -lsusb

Linux host pc:
lsusb

As for the error you're seeing in the tool, this will be caused because of the uboot version you are trying to use is not compatible with your custom board.

It is recommended to run DDR calibration first  using the DDR tool and then build your own uboot with the correct values for your design.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-8M-Family-DDR-Tool-Release/ta-p/110...

Best regards,
Aldo.