Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing kernel source code and compiling with bitbake

Jump to solution
manavdeep
Contributor III

Hi guyz,

I am working on a P series processor (P5040) from freescale that came with the yocto BSP framework. I need to take the kernel-source (from ~/QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-20160527-yocto/build_p5040ds-64b/tmp/work-shared/p5040ds-64b/kernel-source ) on one PC and copy to other PC and compile.

For compilation I am using 

bitbake -c compile -f virtual/kernel

When I run this command I see that the kernel at the above mentioned location (that I had just copied) get deleted and a fresh version is fetched (probably using do_unpack) and compiled.

The QorIQ-SDK-2.0-IC-Rev0.pdf doesn't help. Its telling me the same thing I am doing. 

How do I get around this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
manavdeep
Contributor III

Okay I got over this by using the following steps:

source /opt/fsl-qoriq/2.0/environment-setup-ppc64e5500-fsl-linux
LANG=C
make menuconfig #change CONFIG_UIO to * from M
unset LDFLAGS
make uImage LOADADDR=0x80008000

PS: THIS IS THE WAY OF BUILDING KERNEL W/O BITBAKE, USING TOOLCHAIN INSTEAD. SO ITS A WORK-AROUND AND NOT THE EXACT SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
christopherstut
Contributor I

I've been dropping generic kernel.org kernels into my build for a Powerquicc II for quite a while. So it's an older chip than yours. As long as the dtb file is good, the vanilla kernel knows about all the on-chip peripherals. I've used the gccv.4.2  toolchain as-is from Freescale, the eldk gcc 4.8 as-is from the u-boot site, and a gcc v.5 toolchain built by crosstool-ng.

With regard to the dtb (which I can't upgrade), maybe a kernel mod is needed to reconcile the device lookup strings, which seem to have changed from Freescale's work to what is in the drivers currently: pci-fsl vs. fsl-pci, something like that.

The gianfar gigabit driver has changed quite a bit. I am currently using the Linux 4.2 driver in a 4.6 kernel.

0 Kudos
manavdeep
Contributor III

Okay I got over this by using the following steps:

source /opt/fsl-qoriq/2.0/environment-setup-ppc64e5500-fsl-linux
LANG=C
make menuconfig #change CONFIG_UIO to * from M
unset LDFLAGS
make uImage LOADADDR=0x80008000

PS: THIS IS THE WAY OF BUILDING KERNEL W/O BITBAKE, USING TOOLCHAIN INSTEAD. SO ITS A WORK-AROUND AND NOT THE EXACT SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM.

0 Kudos