Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter test mode to program OTP on VR5510

Jump to solution
harry_choi
Contributor III

Dear Community,

I would like to read and write OTP register on VR5510.

I tried to enter test mode for this following AN13182 - VR5510 Device Design Guidelines.

When I read the FS_STATES from VR5510, it was DEBUG mode.

So, I  wrote key1, 2, 3 on M_TS_ENTRY and FS_TS_ENTRY sequencially but when I read back M_TS_STATUS1 and FS_STATES register, it was not in test mode. 

Does it require special environment or status?

When I read FS_STATES, it was 0x09 = Asserted FS0B.

In this status, VR5510 cannot go into test mode for program OTP?

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
1 Solution
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Harry,

It is my pleasure to contribute.

You are correct, the OTP settings can be modified.

Note that the OTP emulation/programming is possible during engineering development only. OTP programming in production is done by NXP.

The safety level is defined on the table below (table 1 from datasheet). Each part number correspond to a safety level.

diazmarin09_0-1647554451694.png

I am not sure if you are able to change the safety level within the same device.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
vlad_voicu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, I have the S32G-VNP-RDB2 board and I am trying to read the OTP registers of the VR5510 PMIC using the S32G274A via I2C_4.

Although J184 jumper is shorted which sets the VR5510 in debug mode (FS_STATES register bit 13 is 1), FS_STATES register bit 15 is not set after sending the test mode keys. In AN13182 is stated that VDDOTP pin must be held high (>5 V) in order to enter test mode, but when I set J40 as shorted (VDDOOTP is connected to VDBG (~7.5 V)), then the S32G274A is no longer supplied.

My question is: can I read/write the OTP registers via I2C_4 running from S32G274A?

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

Hello,

I don't think so because if VR5510 enters in TEST mode, then all regulators will be off.

That means no power is supplied to S32G2.

So, I believe you have to control VR5510 using external controller(MCU) after connecting I2C lines each other.

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Harry,

It is my pleasure to help.

You are correct, the Debug mode can be confirmed by reading the fail-safe register, FS_STATES(0x18h). If bit DBG_MODE is set to 1, then the Debug mode entry is successful. Could you please confirm that all the regulators are OFF as long as VDDOTP is held high?

Once in debug mode, the next step is to verify that the device is in test mode.

After debug entry, a set of test mode keys must be sent through I2C to enter test mode.

The same set of test mode keys must be written to both the main and fail-safe test mode entry registers - M_TM_ENTRY (0x1Fh) and FS_TM_ENTRY (0x26h). Each of the keys below must be written in succession to each register

– key1: 11010101_10100111

– key2: 10111000_11101110

– key3: 00001111_00110111

After the procedure above, could you please read bit 6 of M_TM_STATUS1 (0x25h) and bit 15 of FS_STATES(0x18h) registers to verify the test mode status?

I know this process is confusing, for further information please review the chapter chapter 5.1 from the application note AN13182.

As a brief, to modify the OTP or to read the existing OTP settings the device must be in debug and test mode.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

Hello David,

Thanks for your kind explanation.

I don't know that all the regulators are OFF you mentioned.

If all regulators are OFF, then do I need to access PMIC via I2C from external MCU outside the board?

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Harry,

I hope the information provided was useful for you.

You are correct, after debug entry, a set of test mode keys (mentioned above) must be sent through I2C to enter test mode using the programming tool.

diazmarin09_0-1647470017218.png

Note that during debug mode, as long as the VDDOTP pin is held high (>5 V), the regulators will be OFF.

In case it is useful for you, you may find further information about the OTP programming at the link below:

NXP Power Management Custom OTP Programming

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

Hello David,

I almost understood what you said, very thanks!

My last question, I don't know whether it is possible to program again the OTP-ed value before.

If I read the manual, it looks like possible to reprogram the OTP value but I'm not sure.

Could you please let me know if you know this?

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

For example, we have VR5510 which programmed ASIL-D. In this case, can I change ASIL-D to QM grade?

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Harry,

It is my pleasure to contribute.

You are correct, the OTP settings can be modified.

Note that the OTP emulation/programming is possible during engineering development only. OTP programming in production is done by NXP.

The safety level is defined on the table below (table 1 from datasheet). Each part number correspond to a safety level.

diazmarin09_0-1647554451694.png

I am not sure if you are able to change the safety level within the same device.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

Hello David,

Could you please answer to my question?

I purchased the toolkit but the VR5510 looks already protected by WP(write protection).

How can I release the Write Protecton on VR5510?

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

Hello David,

I have a problem to program OTP on VR5510.

I purchased the programming kit and tried to program OTP on my VR5510.

But I failed with "WP Flag".

I tried this on VR5510AMDAHES which was already programmed by NXP for S32G/LPDDR4.

Can I change the OTP values to QM?

How can I disagle "write protection".

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Harry,

Please accept my apologies for the delayed response.

What do you mean with WP Flag? Could you please share a screen shot of such flag?

I assume you have the S32G-VNP-RDB2 board. I recommend using the following configuration to enter in debug mode:

Connect J40 (VDDOTP pin) to 8.5 V

Short J184 jumper

TP149 (VDDIO) connected to 3.3 V

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

Hello David,

It's OK, no problem.

I purchased this toolkit  and I can see the below message on trying to program on VR5510.

harry_choi_0-1649200252068.png

It was already programmed to ASIL D but I would like to change to QM grade.

Is there any way to program again? It then, let me know.

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Harry,

I am afraid that you cannot change the programming of the device if you have already programmed it. This is a “One Time Programmable” device, multiple programming is not supported.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

Hello David,

Really? 

When I asked you before about this in same topic, you said it is possible, so I purchased the toolkit.

Cannot I change the WP flag manually?

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Harry,

Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding.

OTP allows the programming of start-up configurations for a variety of applications. Before permanently programming the IC by programming fuses, a configuration may be prototyped by using the debug mode.

In this case, you are using a programmer. So the internal fuses of the devices get burned.

In regard with such flag, are you trying to program a non-programmed device or it is already programmed?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

Hello David,

I almost understoold you pointed and can close this case.

Thanks for your gread and kind support until now.

Best Regards,

Harry

0 Kudos
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Harry,

I hope this response finds you well.

I assume you are referring to the chapter 5.2 from the application note AN13182.

First of all, I would like to make sure that the device is in debug mode. As we know, the debug mode allows users, via the I2C interface, to access the OTP register set, modify the registers, and test device functions.

The VR5510 enters in Debug mode with the following sequence:

1. Apply VDDOTP pin > 5 V.
  2. Apply VSUP1/2 > VSUP_UVH and PWRON1 > PWRON1VIH or PWRON2 >PWRON2VIH.
  3. The device now starts in Debug mode, ready for debugging or OTP programming.
  4. Apply VDDOTP = 0 V to turn on the device with the modified configuration.

Are you following the procedure mentioned on the chapter 8.12 from datasheet?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
harry_choi
Contributor III

Hello David,

Thanks for your kind reply and sorry for late answer.

I can confirm that VDDOTP > 5V but I'm not sure VSUP1/2 > VSUP_UVH and PWRON1 > PWRON1VIH or PWRON2 >PWRON2VIH.

But when I read the FS_STATES, the register value tells that VR5510 is in DEBUG_MODE.

Then can I proceed next step to start test mode for OTP programming?

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos