UPM run commands where a UPM is used by multiple chip selects

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPM run commands where a UPM is used by multiple chip selects

edwardwoolhouse
Contributor I

I am working with a P5040 and communicating with a variety of peripherals via the eLBC. The eight chip selects are configured as follows:

0 -> NOR via GPCM

1-> NAND via FCM

2 -> UPMA

3 -> UPMA

4 -> UPMA

5 -> UPMB

6 -> UPMB

7 -> UPMB

As some of you will have guessed, I'm communicating with three identical devices, so that CS2/5, CS3/6 and CS4/7 form the three links.

For the most part this is working very nicely. I am able to concurrently access all devices without paying too much attention to locking. The only locking I have provided in my (Linux kernel) driver is at the chip select level - 6 mutexes, one per chip select.

This works fine for the normal read/write usage, but on occasion I need to generate some slightly different waveforms on UPMA. Roughly one in every 500 transactions will be this non standard waveform. I have placed it in an unused area of UPMA and issued a UPM run command to start it.

Incidentally I'm piggybacking on the existing UPM run code in the Linux kernel - my code to basically looks like

mutex_lock

mutex_lock(chip_select[234]_mutex);

fsl_upm_start_pattern(...);

fsl_upm_run_pattern(...);

fsl_upm_end_pattern(...);

mutex_unlock(chip_select[234]_mutex);

When I'm only communicating with a single device (eg exercising chip select 2 only) this works beautifully. I see my waveforms on a scope and data is sent/received correctly.

I have problems in two cases:

1. If I try to exercise multiple chip selects concurrently - eg use of UPMA by both CS2 and CS3 by two different threads. Each thread will be performing reads, writes and occasional upm_run commands. Now my transactions timeout.

2. If I try to access NAND while CS2 is issuing UPMA run commands the NAND reports errors to /var/log/messages

fsl,elbc-fcm-nand fffa0000.nand: command failed: fir 4125e000 fcr 30000000 status 2 mdr 0

For problem 1 I initially suspected that the upm_start/run/end sequence was being preempted - eg thread 1 would get as far as fsl_upm_start_pattern, then a write from thread 2 would cause the upm_run_pattern to be issues to the incorrect chip select. I added per-upm locking, so that my code now looked like

mutex_lock(upmA_mutex)

mutex_lock(chip_select[234]_mutex);

fsl_upm_start_pattern(...);

fsl_upm_run_pattern(...);

fsl_upm_end_pattern(...);

mutex_unlock(chip_select[234]_mutex);

mutex_unlock(upmA_mutex);

Now I could guarantee that the next write to hit a UPM A chip select would be the one caused by fsl_upm_run_pattern.

This did not fix the issue.

A few references:

fsl_upm_start_pattern:

Linux/arch/powerpc/include/asm/fsl_lbc.h - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons

fsl_upm_run_pattern:

Linux/arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_lbc.c - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons

fsl_upm_end_pattern:

Linux/arch/powerpc/include/asm/fsl_lbc.h - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons

U-boot versions of the above:

u-boot-fslc/fsl_upm.c at patches-2015.01 · Freescale/u-boot-fslc · GitHub

Question: Are there any further things I need to consider to be able to safely issue UPM run commands to multiple chip selects sharing the same UPM?

Question: The FCM driving the NAND appears to use the FCM special operations mode, which is a bit similar to UPM run. Can they be used concurrently, or do I need sufficient locking as to prevent FCM special operations and UPM run commands being issued at the same time?

Question: Is the UPM run guaranteed to have completed by the time fsl_upm_end_pattern returns?

Question: Do I need to monitor the eLBC interrupt and LTESR to detect completion of the UPM run command?

Question: The P5040 Reference manual states that writes to MxMR must be followed by a readback to ensure they have taken effect before a dummy write is issued. This appears to be done in the U-boot source, but not in the kernel functions linked above. Is this a kernel bug?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

edwardwoolhouse
Contributor I

I never got an answer to this, but I did find an alternative solution that worked around the uncertainty.

Rather than storing my 'non-standard' waveforms in an unused area of UPM I instead stored them in UPM C which was otherwise unused. I could then alter the relevant chip select OR/BR registers to change the UPM in use on the fly (with readback and sync instruction to ensure ordering). This also allowed me to ensure the bus direction was set for reading (which I guess is undefined/stale for UPM run commands), which resolved a half height signal issue.

0 Kudos

pavankumarg
Contributor II

Hi Edward,

I am looking for upm based read/write function for a p1015 based u-boot bring up. I have a nvram connected via UPM to the eLBC. I was wondering whether you could provide for links to code as to how to go about writing or reading from a device connected to the eLBC (as you seem to have worked on this - also couldn't find much support regarding UPM based operations). 

Regards,

Pavankumar

0 Kudos