cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPXV5100GC6U Failures

Jump to solution
mikenable
Contributor I

(Sorry, this was intended for the Sensors forum, not sure how to delete this post or move it over there!)

Hello NXP Forums,

We are seeing a ~1% failure rate in our sensor boards containing the MPXV5100GC6U pressure sensor. The sensors work initially, but when they fail, they no longer output a voltage reading on pin 4. We presume they are dead, and have to authorize RMAs for our customers. 

The application is for oral pressure sensing (tongue strength), so nothing too intensive. We are providing 5V from a USB power bank, with the sensor signal going into a 3.3V microcontroller via a resistor divider.

Has anyone seen or heard of this issue before? Is there any way to troubleshoot the sensor, or at least reduce the occurrence of sensor failures?

Thank you,
Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mikenable
Contributor I

Hello Jozef, 

Thank you for your response and recommendation - we have reached out to Digikey for a CQI.

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mikenable
Contributor I

Hello Jozef, 

Thank you for your response and recommendation - we have reached out to Digikey for a CQI.

Michael

0 Kudos
JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Michael,

you welcome.

With Best Regards,
Jozef

0 Kudos
JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Michael,

please note that the only method we endorse fully is the utilization of a pressure sensor with clean, dry air. Please make sure, that the saliva will not come into contact with the Silicone Gel. Please find attached an AN3728 where on page 3 is a Table with results of testing different medias on our pressure sensor inputs. 

I would recommend you to place a request for CQI (Customer Quality Incident), for a Failure Analysis to a distributor, where you have both the parts from. 

With Best Regards,
Jozef

0 Kudos