Can't load into flash

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't load into flash

RChapman
Contributor I
This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:00 pm  

I'm trying to program a XC912BC32 board using TBDML and Hi-Wave 4.1
I just can't succed.
There are no flash submenu under "TBDML HCS12" menu that I've seen people refering to and the "Load Code to onchip Non...." is not accesible.

I'm able to read the memory and also single step the program that's already there.

Isn't this chip supported?

Does anybody have a clue?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:42 pm    

Hi,

this is a *very* old chip. I do not have it around so I cannot try, but guess it might not be supported by the CodeWarrior tools.
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:24 pm    

I've succeded when I used the demoversion of NoICE for 68HC12 and the TBDML.

Do You think they removed support for this family? It's a pitty because I have a bunch of cards with this µ

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:29 am    

I would try e-mailing Freescale support to see whether CodeWarrior debugger does support this particular micro. Do not mention TBDML though - they do not support it and might blame it for the problem Smile. The fact is that TBDML has nothing to do with it - flash programming is a debugger thing and the cable does not even know it is happening.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:56 pm    

I've got an answer from Metrowerks that this controller is not supported.

Does anybody know if there have been a version of C.W. that did?

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:57 pm    

I have finally got my hands on an old HC12 EVB. The problem with TBDML and old HC12 devices was that the PARTID register is not there hence the debugger cannot tell what the device is. There is a new GDI DLL available for download now which fixes the problem - there is a new menu item which enables you to tell the debugger which HC12 part you want it to talk to. Select HC12B32, I believe that it has the same memory map as BC32 and only the peripherals are different. The flash programming should work then.

BTW. BC32 is *really* old stuff, you need to supply external 12V for the micro during flash programming, etc. Get yourself a new S12 and you will get better tools support any less problems.

Let me know how it works.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:20 pm    

Great! I now can program my cards.

There are though some issues left.
The assembler window doesn't update with the PC. It's all white until I change the adress manually. If I then make a single step it goes white and the adress is reseted to "DEADBEEF".

Now I just downloaded an s19 file made with MiniIDE, my goal was to have HiWave as the debugger.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:09 pm  

Now it almost works!

When I'm using HiWave from CW 4.1 it works a little bit better.
I can download into flash, I can single step the code, I can add breakpoints and run into them.

The only thing that's not working is the Assembly window that doesn't update properly. After I make a single step or run into a breakpoint, the Assembly window get all white.
If I check the Adress menu it has added 85 infront of the current PC address and then are far out of memory. If I remove the two first digits my code is showing up correctly until I make another step.

Any ideas?

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:05 pm    

More testing...
The problem with the update of Assembler window happens when the PC becomes 8000 or greater. If I debug software with PC lower then 8000 it works. Do we have a SIGNED/UNSIGNED bug here?

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:19 am    

Hi,

this problem sounds like it is in the debugger itself. I doubt it has anything to do with the cable itself.

I do not understand why the debugger shows more than 16-bit PC address for you. BC32 has flash in the region of 8000 to FFFF and no paging at all.

I do not have a BC32 here, so I cannot try it... I am told that debugger version 4.5 will be released very soon, hopefully it will work better for you.

0 Kudos
0 Replies