cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which NFC Product is Right?

eferelim
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm new to this topic and would be very thankful when somebody can explain, how it could work out.

For example, I have a passive device, that can store data for access control, IDs and payments. This data is written to this device from a smartphone. Then I use this passive device with NFC Terminals (NFC Readers) to make a transaction in payments or to get building access.

It this case what hardware can implement this functionality on the passive device. Could it be only NTAG i2c with an MCU or it should be a combination of more than one NFC Device.

Thank you,
Dima

4 Replies

nxf58474
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dima,

Hope you are doing well. For your case, I would recommend the MIFARE® DESFire®.

MIFARE DESFire products enable multi-application smart card solutions for identity, access control, loyalty, and micropayment applications, as well as in transport schemes.

Also you would need a NFC Reader, please take a look to the NFC Reader ICs and find the one that fits the most to your needs.

Please let me know if you have any question.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

eferelim
Contributor II

Thank you for your advice. 

Mifare DESFire family is already ready-to-use solution. I can't control it from a host controller.

The scheme is Host Controller + SE with NFC to implement high-security application.

Two options seems to be a good way as well to work with: 

But I can't find any information or dev. Boards, how to work with these guys

0 Kudos

fred27murphy
Contributor II

It sounds like a writable NFC tag is what you need - although as you might expect getting this to work for payments and building would be very difficult. (Nobody wants bank cards and security passes to be easy to clone.)

I'd be tempted to start by looking at NXP's NTAG I2C plus (OM5569) or if you want to do a little more with an NFC-powered microcontroller there is the LPC8N04 (OM40002).

eferelim
Contributor II

Thank you Fred. It's very helpful, I didn't even think about Microcontroller with NFC Interface. It seems to be a great option. NTAG I2C Tags are used mostly in embedded systems to control or get information about the system, eg washing machine or Bluetooth speaker, as far as I can understand.

At this stage, it's only about to make a device that can easily communicate with a smartphone. How it can implement the functions of access control and payments I have no vision right now.

0 Kudos