cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC: Rmatch value for matching circuit

asael_hernandez
Contributor II

Hi.

I am designing the NFC antenna and using PN532 NFC controller for a project. I'm not a expert about NFC or RF circuits.

I have some questions about Rmatch.

About Rmatch I understand that need to be measure with an impedance or network analyzer. But, for prototype design, with what value of Rmatch I can obtain values for matching? What value of Rmatch should I start with?

Is there only a Rmatch = 50 Ohms or is there a range?

If there is a range, what is the range?, and, how affect a greater or lesser value of Rmatch to the NFC circuit?

Thanks for your replies

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Asael,

Yes, for PN532, the recommended Rmatch is around 50ohm, and the range is 40 - 50 Ohm, the general tuning flow is like below, and please kindly refer to https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN1445_An1444.zip  for more details.

pastedImage_2.png

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

Gladiator13
Contributor I

Hi @Kan_Li ,

I am using a PN7150 in reader mode. Matching is done according to the application note right up to the RX path.

What I've seen is, that some NFC Tags have an extensive impact on our antenna characteristics.  This means that although our circuit is matched for unaffected scenario (and some smaller 15693 Tags), all 14443 tags I've tested made it perform considerably worse. When you look at a typical smith chart measured at both TX pins, the presence of an 14443 tag throws the 13.56MHz mark right down to the low resistance area (talking R<10ohm for a Z(Rmatch) = 40ohm circuit). This will increase current consumption for the duration and probably decreases EMC compliance. 
How should we handle that? Problem is, that we use both types of tags and have to pass booth EMC tests.

0 Kudos

asael_hernandez
Contributor II

Thanks for the answer.

One more question. The impedance matching depends only on the NFC controller chosen?

0 Kudos

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Asael,

Actually the matching process is almost the same, while the target impedance depends on the NFC controller chosen.

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.