MIFARE UID Byte Lengths

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIFARE UID Byte Lengths

andrewvillagran
Contributor I

Hi, a client wants me to purchase 26-bit MIFARE DESFire cards, but I'm not sure if that's even a thing.  I've been reviewing this document: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN10833.pdf (page 9), and it appears that each card format has a 4 or 7 byte portion for the UID (i.e. 32 or 56 bits), plus an extra portion of bytes for proprietary data.  For the UID, is it always 32 or 56 bits, or is there such a thing as 26-bit or 34-bit?  Also, is this the best document to use to understand the different MIFARE card formats, or is there something better?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

sb2
Contributor II

Dear Andrew

What your customer is looking for is most likely a card reader that will output 26 bit wiegand data when reading a DESFire card.

There are 2 ways for this to work:

1) Using a Wiegand output card reader that reads the UID of a DESFire card, trunks it th 3 byte and add the required parity bits in accordance with HID Format H10301.

2) Using a Wiegand output card reader that reads data from a DESFire file (in an application) that is encoded with card data in wiegand 26 bit format (H10301).

Your customer may not be using the 26 bit format on a non wiegand reader (OSDP interface perhaps?) 

Regards

Søren

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Andrew Villagran,

as you may know the ISO 14443 cards can be found in 3 types of UID

pastedImage_2.png

and about the card form factors, it is important to mention that NXP does not sell the full card solution, by this I mean  IC + Antenna + wrapper  we sell the IC inside the card, we have a list of manufacturers  that can help you with this solutions using NXP ICs.

RFID Ecosystem | NXP 

Registered Partner | MIFARE 

Have a great day !

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos