Help getting NTAG5 Cockpit working with NTAG5 Boost

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help getting NTAG5 Cockpit working with NTAG5 Boost

JonMason
Contributor I

I have an NTAG5 Boost eval board, connected to an I2C EEPROM. I'm trying to communicate with it via the NTAG5 Cockpit software. 

I have a PNEV5180BM eval board too, which I think is what the Cockpit software needs to communicate with the Boost board over NFC.

Document UM11207 https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/UM11207.pdf tells me to install the "NFC Cockpit firmware", which I have downloaded. It also tells me to refer to Document UM10954 https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/UM10954.pdf to see how to install that firmware.

That document tells me to install the MCUXpresso IDE, whch I have done. It seems I also need to buy an "LPC-Link 2" (+ cable?). I think page 20-21 are attempting to explain how to load the firmware, but I think it's a very old version of MCUXpresso IDE in the document, at least the instructions make no sense to me.

Can someone help me out with instructions on how to load the firmware onto the PNEV5180BM eval board? And an assurance that once that's done I'll finally be able to use the Cockpit software?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello JonMason,
Thank you for using our products, we really appreciate it.
The first step to communicate with NFC Cockpit using an NXP Reader, in this case, the PN5180 is to follow the UM10954. In section 2.1 it is mentioned two hardware NXP products, the first one is PN5180EV5180B (which you already have) the second one is LPC-Link 2. By connecting the 10 pin cable from the LPC Link to the PN5180 you will be able to debug the PN5180 as shown in section 2.5 Fig. 9.
Once you have both boards USB powered and the latest NFC Cockpit version installed in your windows computer, you need to go to section 5 of the UM10954 and locate the binary files mentioned in the document:
“…\NxpNfcCockpit_v3.10.0.0\firmware\Secondary_PN5180”
Figures 17 and 18 show detailed steps to follow in order to flash the PN5180 with the required binary bootloader.
Inside "…\Secondary_PN5180" directory there is a README file that might help you, please keep in mind the warnings from the files.
The last two figures will guide you through the last steps for flashing the board. After these steps please Follow the UM11207 "NTAG 5 NFC Cockpit application" Please Sir, follow the instructions for setting up and Chapter 4 for NTAG 5 NFC Cockpit GUI.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos