Can NFC read anything from apple pay

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NFC read anything from apple pay

daveb1
Contributor II

We don't want to carry out an Apple Pay transaction or even come close, but is it possible to read anything at all from the Apple Pay facility that will uniquely identify the phone. (We want to use an iPhone as an access control pass)

4 Replies

deniscollis
Contributor V

Apple PassKit provides a framework for iPhone users to load things besides their credit cards into their Apple Wallets, e.g. loyalty cards, membership cards, ticketing, etc.  (Google provides a similar Framework).  The contactless reader needs to support Apple Value Added Services Protocol  (AppleVAS). I don't see any reason why a card reader could not be implemented as an AppleVAS-only device, without support for payment cards.  Please see: Wallet Developer Guide 

janulo
Contributor III

Hi Denis, do you have any recommendations how or where to get information needed to support Apple VAS protocol on card reader? I tried Sign In - Apple  without success.

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Dave Bush,  I am not sure if this can be possible since the payment systemsare meant to detect an EMV transaction,  so what you want to do is  emulate a payment method with the  "badge" of the student, worker, whatever your access is for and emulate a EMV transaction and use this payment method to send the information ? I am not sure if this is possible since it is done for EMV compliant transactions. I would recommend check with the apple team or community to see if this is feasible or not  using that phone.

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

daveb1
Contributor II

Thanks

0 Kudos