LIN/CAN interface on MCSXSR1CS12ZVM

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIN/CAN interface on MCSXSR1CS12ZVM

fadi-eid
Contributor II

I am planning to use the MCSXSR1CS12ZVM evaluation board. I am aware that the default communication available out of the box is LIN, and if CAN communication is needed, some components need to be added such as resistors, capacitors, connectors, and ICs such as the CAN transceiver,, and also, the 0R resistors in the CAN/LIN selector section should be exchanged. 
Having done that, can I have access to CAN communication without changing the default MCU (S912ZVML12F3MKH) of the board?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

fadi-eid
Contributor II

Well received, thank you for the help

0 Kudos

lama
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Yes, you understand the board well. The S12ZVMLxxx contains LIN transceiver. The board is able to be populated also with S12ZVMCxx which contains integrated CAN transceiver. But this option I will not deal with.

So, you should populate CAN transceiver and R34, R35 to be able to use also CAN peripheral. The board is populated with S912ZVML12F3MKH. It is 128kB version of the S12ZVML. In the reference manual you can see that following versions of the S12ZVML contains also CAN peripheral (Table 1-2. S12ZVM Family Feature Set Differences):

ZVML128, ZVML64, ZVML32

So, it is not necessary to change the MCU.

Best regards,

Ladislav

0 Kudos

fadi-eid
Contributor II

Oh, I see, what is confusing is that table 16 in section 3.9 of the board's user guide says that apart from the transceiver and components, the MCU should be substituted, but as far as I know, the default MCU supports both LIN and CAN interfaces. Why is it that we need to change the MCU?

0 Kudos

lama
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

No, I did not write you need to change the MCU. Both devices contain LIN and CAN.

The difference between S12ZVML and S12ZVMC is that S12ZVML contains LINPHY(physical interface) and S12ZVMC contains CANPHY (physical interface). So, if you use S12ZVML (already on board) and you want to communicate also via CAN you have to populate externa CANPHY (transceiver TJAxxx) and connect CANTX and CANRX to it via R34 and R35.

I think it's easier to install non-installed devices than to change the MCU.

Best regards,

Ladislav

0 Kudos