Reference materials available for MPC5744P MBD

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference materials available for MPC5744P MBD

zcampbell
Contributor I

I am new to using the MDB toolbox with the SPC5744P MCU.  I am wondering what is the best reference material to use which reflects the blockset settings within the Simulink MBD toolbox.  I am currently using the 5744P reference manual but am finding that not all of the blockset settings that exist in the Simulink blocks built by NXP are described in detail in the manual.  Specifically, I am trying to learn what ALL of the settings in the blocks shown below do.  I am using Matlab 2019b, and MDBT 3.2.0.  

These blocks are used in the MDBT example PWM-CTU-ADC sync example.  I would like to learn more about how to synchronize tasks using the blocks within this model.  

ADC_ConfigBLOCK.PNGCTU_ConfigBLOCK.PNGFlexPWM_ConfigBLOCK.PNG

0 Kudos
2 Replies

mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @zcampbell ,

Nice to see that you are using our products

I don't think I can recommend to you "the best documentation" for our product. Let me explain a bit about how our toolbox works and why the options are a little bit different from the RM.

The Reference Manual is that document which describes all the capabilities of the controller. It describes the registers and the bits that have to be set in its registers in order to achieve the desired functionality. I think this is the most complete manual. Well, Model Based Design Toolbox does not configure the registers directly. I mean, the MBDT generates C code based on the S32SDK for Power Architecture which is linked here https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/s32-sdk/s32-software-development-kit-for-po...

The SDK makes sure that the registers are set correctly and in the right order. It is a mature product already validated so this is the reason why the settings are not 1:1 with the ones presented in the reference manual. 

For our blocks, we have examples and a helpful documentation that describes a bit the settings from the block masks.

Now, if you are interested in a certain topic, as for example the ATC - CTU - PWM synchronization and you want to learn first about this particular case, regardless of MBDT but with focus on hardware capabilities and right techniques, then on the  Controller's Documentation page here, https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture/mpc5xxx-microcontrol...  you will find some application notes. For example, AN12017, 3-Phase PMSM has a chapter describing the CTU triggers, ADC conversion and interrupt timing. Which is the subject you are interested in.

Last but not least, in this community, there are a couple of Motor control Courses, like PMSM Control Workshop and BLDC Control Workshop. Both courses explain motor control theory based on the MBDT toolbox and we believe this is a great starting point.

If you have any particular cases regarding the MBDT examples or functionalities, just ask us on the MBDT Community.

Hope this helps,

Marius

0 Kudos

zcampbell
Contributor I

In reference to your statement: "For our blocks, we have examples and a helpful documentation that describes a bit the settings from the block masks."

What is the "helpful documentation" that describes the settings in the block masks?  This is the key to my question.  The MATLAB help documentation does little more than illustrate the same options that can be seen from the dropdown menus of the blocks (example from FlexPWM MATLAB help documentation below).  This 'help' documentation does no act as an explanation of what the settings within the blocks do.  I would like some documentation which provides the user what the settings within the blocks do.  Where can I find this documentation?

FlexPWM_ModuleMATLABHelp.PNG

0 Kudos