How are Message Buffers allocated among multiple CAN buses on MPC57xx?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are Message Buffers allocated among multiple CAN buses on MPC57xx?

Jump to solution
ranulf
Contributor IV

If multiple CAN buses are utilized on a MPC57xx with Rx FIFO how are the Message Buffers (MBs) distributed amongst the CAN buses? Also, which MB numbers are available for Tx?

In the simple case where a single CAN bus is used, MBs 0 through 5 are reserved by FIFO. Also additional consecutive MBs are reserved equal to the count of elements in the Rx FIFO Filter Table. The remaining higher numbered MBs are available for CAN Tx. This is explained in the documentation for the FCAN Configuration Block.The documentation is not clear on how the MBs are distributed when multiple CAN buses are implemented.

I have a CAN gateway that consists of DEVKIT-MPC5748G and DEVKIT-COMM. I make use of 5 CAN buses. 96 MBs are available. In each of the 5 CAN configuration blocks I have reserved 19 MBs as shown.
-- Have I allocated the MBs in the best way so I have access to all MBs?
-- Which MB numbers are reserved by each CAN Bus for Rx FIFO?
-- Which MB numbers are available to each CAN bus for Tx?
-- Are the MBs available for Tx shared amongst the 5 CAN buses?

ranulf_1-1639081360645.png

ranulf_0-1639081315713.png

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
paulvlase
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @ranulf ,

On MPC5748G each FlexCAN module includes 96 message buffers (MBs). FlexCAN0 has 96 MBs, FlexCAN1 another 96 MBs, and so on. The MBs are not shared between the CAN buses.

When the Rx FIFO is enabled, MBs 0–5 are used by the Rx FIFO engine.
An additional memory area occupied by MBs 6–37 depending on the Number Of Rx FIFO Filters setting, contains the ID filter table (configurable from 8 to 128 table elements) that specifies filtering criteria for accepting frames into the FIFO.

paulvlase_0-1644485396524.png

Regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
paulvlase
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @ranulf ,

On MPC5748G each FlexCAN module includes 96 message buffers (MBs). FlexCAN0 has 96 MBs, FlexCAN1 another 96 MBs, and so on. The MBs are not shared between the CAN buses.

When the Rx FIFO is enabled, MBs 0–5 are used by the Rx FIFO engine.
An additional memory area occupied by MBs 6–37 depending on the Number Of Rx FIFO Filters setting, contains the ID filter table (configurable from 8 to 128 table elements) that specifies filtering criteria for accepting frames into the FIFO.

paulvlase_0-1644485396524.png

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos