cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a bootloader to MQX???

Jump to solution
Gcoakley
Contributor I

Is there an up to date appnote available for adding a bootloader to MQX? I have followed the instructions provided by "Adding an Ethernet Bootloader to Freescale MQX" (rev 1.3), but I am getting the following error in my debugger (CodeWarrior for ColdFire V7.2).

Exception vector name: Address Error

Any assistance would be helpful. Thank you.

Gcoakley

0 Kudos
1 Solution
bonzo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

All,

I have verified that the document "Adding an Ethernet Bootloader to Freescale MQX" Rev 1.3 is still valid and was tested with FNET 0.8.1 and CW 7.2 and MQX 3.6.2 on a M52259DEMO board.  

The only change needed is to reverse the parameters in the tftp command.

It should read:

FNET> tftp blinky_fnet.elf.s19 <your host ipaddress>

I have not tested it with CW10 or with the 52259 Tower board.

Don't forget to read section 5 as you will need to rebuild the libraries for your board with the following line added to user_config.h:

#define MQX_ROM_VECTORS  0

--Brad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gcoakley
Contributor I

No comments or suggestions after 2 days?  Since Freescale is pushing MQX, I would have expected a post from a moderator after this much time.

Regardless, I am also experiencing the same results with CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers (version 10.0).  Based upon the available information (from the debugger), it does not appear that the MQX is copying the vectors into the correct location in RAM.  Unfortunately, I am still parsing through the MQX bsp and psp files for information.

Gcoakley

0 Kudos
butok
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gcoakley,

>>Based upon the available information (from the debugger),

>>it does not appear that the MQX is copying the vectors into the correct location in RAM.

Based on http://sourceforge.net/projects/fnet/files/fnet/AN/FNET_and_MQX%20Rev%201.3.pdf/download

you should add:

"..

Add the following line to user_config.h :

#define MQX_ROM_VECTORS 0

.."

I have never tried this but guess it should help,

Andrey Butok

0 Kudos
ARQuattr
Contributor IV

I have document called "Adding a Bootloader to MQX", that gives some information on this.  Is that the same document you have?  I need to get this working also, but haven't tried this guide yet.  I couldn't find the document you referred to. 

0 Kudos
Gcoakley
Contributor I

ARQuattr:

Actually, I have the document linked to by Andrey Butok (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fnet/files/fnet/AN/FNET_and_MQX%20Rev%201.3.pdf/download) so I cannot comment on the document "Adding a Bootloader to MQX".  Can you provide a link to this document?

Andrey Butok:

Unfortunately, I am using the same document and I had tried changing the MQX_ROM_VECTORS macro to 0.

Gcoakley

0 Kudos
ARQuattr
Contributor IV

Gcoakley, have you made progress?  Sorry for the late reply.  You had the more recent version of the same document I had, but there is now a rev1.4 available.

I got the latest versions of FNET, and made some slow progress, but managed to get FNET running (I think properly).  I had build problems with 0.9.1 and 0.9.3, but was able to get 0.8.1 to build in CW10 after adding some folders to the include path.  I'm not sure why I would have needed to do this, so I'm suspicious something else might be wrong that I haven't found yet.

Anyway, I got FNET running and I was able to use it as a bootloader to download the application S19 via tftp.  It works very nicely.

0 Kudos
bonzo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

All,

I have verified that the document "Adding an Ethernet Bootloader to Freescale MQX" Rev 1.3 is still valid and was tested with FNET 0.8.1 and CW 7.2 and MQX 3.6.2 on a M52259DEMO board.  

The only change needed is to reverse the parameters in the tftp command.

It should read:

FNET> tftp blinky_fnet.elf.s19 <your host ipaddress>

I have not tested it with CW10 or with the 52259 Tower board.

Don't forget to read section 5 as you will need to rebuild the libraries for your board with the following line added to user_config.h:

#define MQX_ROM_VECTORS  0

--Brad

0 Kudos