Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timer in LPC546xx

Jump to solution
hemanthvasista
Contributor IV

Hello ,

I am working on the LPC546xx based device.
I intend to use the timer for generating interrupt at various time interval.

I came across various timers
1. Multi-Rate Timer (MRT)
2. Repetitive Interrupt Timer (RIT)
3. System tick timer (SYSTICK)
4. Micro-tick Timer (UTICK)
5. CTimer
6. SCTimer/PWM

Is there any document/application note given info of comparison of timer, when to use, interrupt priority, interrupt latency..

regards,
Hemanth

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Hemanth,

First of all, let's talk about the interrupt priority, interrupt latency, the interrupt priority and interrupt latency are core attributes, the LPC546xx uses  Cortex-M4, it supports the nested interrupt mechanism(preemptive interrupt mechanism), each interrupt can be set up with an individual priority level. Each interrupt has the the same interrupt latency, it is not related to interrupt priority.

Regarding the function of different Timer modules, I do not think there is application note which focuses on the comparison. But I can give a review.

1)SCTimer/PWM: can generate complicated PWM signal to control even motor, have capture function, can generate interrupt with programmable interval, can be a frequency divider.

2)CTimer: can generate simple PWM signal, can generate interrupt with programmable interval, has capture function, can be a frequency divider.

3)Multi-Rate Timer (MRT): can only generate interrupt

4)Repetitive Interrupt Timer (RIT): can only generate interrupt

5)System tick timer (SYSTICK): can generate interrupt for core

6)Micro-tick Timer (UTICK): can generate interrupt, and have capture function

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong

View solution in original post

1 Reply
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Hemanth,

First of all, let's talk about the interrupt priority, interrupt latency, the interrupt priority and interrupt latency are core attributes, the LPC546xx uses  Cortex-M4, it supports the nested interrupt mechanism(preemptive interrupt mechanism), each interrupt can be set up with an individual priority level. Each interrupt has the the same interrupt latency, it is not related to interrupt priority.

Regarding the function of different Timer modules, I do not think there is application note which focuses on the comparison. But I can give a review.

1)SCTimer/PWM: can generate complicated PWM signal to control even motor, have capture function, can generate interrupt with programmable interval, can be a frequency divider.

2)CTimer: can generate simple PWM signal, can generate interrupt with programmable interval, has capture function, can be a frequency divider.

3)Multi-Rate Timer (MRT): can only generate interrupt

4)Repetitive Interrupt Timer (RIT): can only generate interrupt

5)System tick timer (SYSTICK): can generate interrupt for core

6)Micro-tick Timer (UTICK): can generate interrupt, and have capture function

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong