map file viewer bugs (ASSERT Macro flagged as problem, null-ptr exception)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

map file viewer bugs (ASSERT Macro flagged as problem, null-ptr exception)

Jump to solution
davenadler
Senior Contributor I

Viewing a GCC map file in the IDE, ASSERT lines are flagged as a problem:
Description Resource Path Location Type
missing '=' at '(' MFW2.map /MFW2/Debug line: 17202 /MFW2/Debug/MFW2.map Map File Problem

The map file contents are for example:

LOAD ./Generated_uC_setup/pin_mux.o
LOAD C:\git_CAP\repo_MFW2\MFW2\libs\libarm_cortexM4lf_math.a
                0x00016000                HEAP_SIZE = DEFINED (__heap_size__)?__heap_size__:0x400
                0x00000800                STACK_SIZE = DEFINED (__stack_size__)?__stack_size__:0x400
                0x00000001                ASSERT (((HEAP_SIZE & 0xf) == 0x0), HEAP_SIZE must be multiple of 16)
                0x00000001                ASSERT (((STACK_SIZE & 0xf) == 0x0), STACK_SIZE must be multiple of 16)
                0x00016000                _HeapSize = HEAP_SIZE
                0x00000800                _StackSize = STACK_SIZE
                0x00000000                M_VECTOR_RAM_SIZE = 0x0

The link works just fine.

I'm using NXP's MCUXpresso IDE v11.3.0 [Build 5222] [2021-01-11],
which is based on Eclipse CDT 9.11.1.202006011430

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Also... If Eclipse is started with the map file as an open tab, but the map file is not present (for example after a clean), the viewer dies with a null-ptr exception.

PPS: I tried reporting the problem here but got nowhere: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1852668/#msg_1852668 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thanks for attaching the map file. We're seeing the two warnings on our side as well and logged a ticket to track the issue internally. We'll plan a fix for a future release. Note that the warnings you see during map or linker script parsing are not blocking by any means build or debug.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @davenadler ,

about the thing of no-existing map file: With 11.5.1 I get nothing unexpected:

ErichStyger_0-1653983406454.png

So it could be something which has been fixed meanwhile.

Erich

0 Kudos
davenadler
Senior Contributor I

Thanks @ErichStyger as always!
I've attached an example map file to the original post.
Much appreciate the clarification; I assumed the map file viewer was standard Eclipse or CDT...
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

0 Kudos
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thanks for attaching the map file. We're seeing the two warnings on our side as well and logged a ticket to track the issue internally. We'll plan a fix for a future release. Note that the warnings you see during map or linker script parsing are not blocking by any means build or debug.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos
davenadler
Senior Contributor I

Thanks @ErichStyger and @lpcxpresso_supp !
Best Regards, Dave

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @davenadler ,

this map file parser is a NXP specific feature afik, so the Eclipse community won't act on that. But I'm sure the NXP engineers would like to have a look: I passed a few of such things in the past and they corrected it in the upcoming release.

I tried your snippet with the 11.5.1 version, and that looked ok (warnings, but no assert). Would you be able to share your full map file for a test?

Erich

0 Kudos