Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

global variable values not shown/updated while running code with J-Link

Jump to solution
adamrakam
Contributor III

Hi,

I was able to see global variable values and their change while running code on LPC11c24 evaluation board using debug probe on the board (OM13093_LPC11C24_EVAL_BOARD). I use now J-Link Base probe and cant see global variable values/change. Values are shown only when application is paused:

application running

pastedImage_2.png

application paused:

pastedImage_1.png

Any idea why global variables do not behave the same way as with OM13093_LPC11C24_EVAL_BOARD on board debug probe ? Do I need to change settings in Segger J-Link debug probe ?

Thank you.

Best regards

1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The Live Variables functionality, as described in section 3.4 "LinkServer Global and Live Global Variables" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.2 User Guide, is part of the "LinkServer" debug support - which functions when a "non-stop" debug connections is made.

Unfortunately, this is not available when using SEGGER probes (as mentioned in section 3.9.1, "SEGGER Differences from LinkServer Debug" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.2 User Guide).

It is also not available using P&E Micro probes, though P&E provide an alternate mechanism via another view that their plugin provides (described in the PEMicro Blog).

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

View solution in original post

5 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The Live Variables functionality, as described in section 3.4 "LinkServer Global and Live Global Variables" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.2 User Guide, is part of the "LinkServer" debug support - which functions when a "non-stop" debug connections is made.

Unfortunately, this is not available when using SEGGER probes (as mentioned in section 3.9.1, "SEGGER Differences from LinkServer Debug" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.2 User Guide).

It is also not available using P&E Micro probes, though P&E provide an alternate mechanism via another view that their plugin provides (described in the PEMicro Blog).

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

adamrakam
Contributor III

Hi,

I just found your debug probe LPC-Link2. If I used NXP probe in a Segger mode would it make any difference ? Or as you said before it will still use different debug server or sth.

Thanks

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you use the LPC-Link2 with the Segger J-Link firmware, then it is acting as a normal J-Link. So all the limitations of J-Link (like Live Variables) then apply to it as they apply to a 'normal' J-Link.

I hope this helps,

Erich

adamrakam
Contributor III

Understood, thank you for the prompt reply Erich !

0 Kudos
adamrakam
Contributor III

Understood, thank you for the prompt reply.

0 Kudos