cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown gdb command exec-run?

Jump to solution
nathan4
Contributor II

Debugging the hello world example from MCUXpresso IDE using a JLinkPro debugger gives the error "Failed to execute MI Command" "exec-run" "Don't know how to run." How can I fix this to enable debugging?

This is using the SDK_2.x_FRDM-K82F kit at Version 2.6.0 built for MCUXpressoIDE toolchain.

In the GDB trace log I can see it looks like the exec-run command was unknown.  I've included this and other logs in the attached file but the relevant contents are:

929,408 (gdb)
929,409 38-exec-run --thread-group i1
929,409 38^error,msg="Don't know how to run. Try \"help target\"."
929,410 (gdb)
929,414 39-gdb-exit
929,414 39^exit
929,414 =thread-group-exited,id="i1"

(UPDATE: The error is the same regardless if using a JLinkPro via USB, JLinkPro via Ethernet or onboard the OpenSDA debugger.)

(UPDATE: We see the same error with both Windows and Linux hosts using MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.0 build 2516.)

It seems to me the GDB commands MCUXpresso is trying to use are incompatible with the SDK but everything is at the latest so unsure why this would be or if I have some miss-configuration I'm aware of.  Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
converse
Senior Contributor V

How did you create the Lauch configuration? Did you press the *blue* debug button, or something else?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ben,

My apologies, yesterday while looking at this issue my access to boards was restricted and I tested with a similar board but subtly different - where OpenSDA and target MCU USB connections were alternately arranged.

That being said, I have now located a Kinetis KL28 and added a debug header for the target MCU for external debug operations. Again, I can see no issue debugging with JLink via USB or IP.

An MCUXpresso IDE installer includes a particular version of JLink and will install this at the IDE installation time. However, no JLink version assumption is made until the first workspace is created. At this time a search is performed to locate the most recent JLink installation and the path used can be seen within the IDE preferences.

From here, the user has the potential to override the IDE's selection or force the IDE to perform a new search (and path update) via the 'Restore Defaults' button.

pastedImage_3.png

But note - the target is the J-Link GDB server not JLlink.exe

For a typical IDE installation - all of this is automatically performed, the only time user action is expected is if a later version of SEGGER is manually installed (for some reason) and an existing workspace remains in use.

Also note: Just to add to the complication... After the release of MCUXpresso IDE version 11.0.0. SEGGER made a change to their long standing installation scheme. Therefore if a version of SEGGER JLink is installed that is more recent than the version installed with MCUXpresso IDE Version 11.0.0 the Restore Default mechanism will not automatically detect this update - instead the user must browse for the newer JLinkGDBServer... Furthermore, if a user uninstalls the version of SEGGER J-Link installed by the IDE and replaces this with a later version, then no JLink support will be found - for each workspace, the new server must be manually selected.  This issue will be addressed on the next release of MCUXpresso IDE.

I hope this helps,

Yours,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

The Jlink is being powered by the target processors USB connector

pastedImage_4.png

To get the Jlink Segger target probe to work I have tried:

Un-installing, then re-installing MCUXpressoIDE_11.0.0_2516.exe

tried

1. JLink_Windows_V647d.exe

2. JLink_Windows_V612.exe

3. JLink_Windows_V646h.exe

When I reinstalled MCUXpressoIDE_11.0.0_2516.exe, it uses version:

JLink_Windows_V6.44i

When it installs, it creates the Jlink folder here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_V644i

But the IDE looks for it here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink

So I moved all the files from the C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_V644i folder to the C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink folder.

The Console Tab:

[03-7-2019 01:07:28] Executing Server: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink\JLink.exe" -nosilent -swoport 2332 -select USB  -telnetport 2333 -singlerun -endian little -noir -speed auto   -port 2331    -vd -device MKL28Z512xxx7 -if SWD -halt -reportuseraction
SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.44i (Compiled May 17 2019 17:35:18)
DLL version V6.44i, compiled May 17 2019 17:34:22

Unknown command line option -nosilent.

Server has been shut down.

The windows message box:

pastedImage_6.png

As I mentioned, powering the FRDM-KNL28Z from the target USB and using the PEMico's Multilink Probe,

the project can be debugged.

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

Noticed the SDA USB uses LinkServerDebug

The SWD Segger 10pin Debugger uses Jlink GDB SEGGER Interface Debugging

pastedImage_2.png

When I added the Segger Jlink debug, I get:

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

When I added the PEMicro:

pastedImage_3.png

The project does erase, download,verify and allows stepping with the MKL28Z512 10 pin debug. I have FINALLY found a probe that can function.

0 Kudos
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ben,

It looks like you have had a fairly rough time getting debug working.  As I am sure you have heard many times - this should just work either using MCUXpresso IDE version 10.3.1 or v 11.1.0.

From your pictures I see you are powering the board from the OpenSDA USB connection. This is fine (essential) for OpenSDA debug but not for debug via external probes.

I am able to duplicate your debug problem when powering from the OpenSDA USB and debugging with SEGGER.

Please try powering the board from the target device USB connection i.e. the lower one when using SEGGER JLink or P&E.

Yours,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

Bad news is that MCUexpresso cannot talk to the target MKL28Z512 processor using the Segger probe connected to the target micro's 10 pin debug connector. MCUexpresso can talk to the SDA USB port.

I don't think my company would want to add a MK20DX128 microprocessor to each unit, just to program the MKL28Z.

The Segger probe did work in flashing the MK20DX128 though its 10 pin debug connector.

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

After dropping k20dx_frdmkl28z_if_crc.bin found in "OpenSDAv2.2_DAPLink_frdmkl28z_rev0242.zip"

My FRDM-MKL28Z project did download using USB SDA, and as a bonus... stopped at main... and as a super bonus, can single step.

Magic combination sauce:

1. MSD bootloader "0244_k20dx_bootloader_update_0x8000.bin" found DAPLink bootloader update | Mbed 

2. SDA bootloader "k20dx_frdmkl28z_if_crc.bin" found in "OpenSDAv2.2_DAPLink_frdmkl28z_rev0242.zip"

3. J-link version "JLink_Windows_V647d.exe" found SEGGER - The Embedded Experts - Downloads - J-Link / J-Trace 

4. MCUexpresso "MCUXpressoIDE_11.0.0_2516.exe"

Regards,

Ben

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

No blue button, when I press Debug in the Quickstart panel I get:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

Now at version 2.44

Found "0244_k20dx_bootloader_update_0x8000.bin" binary at:

DAPLink bootloader update | Mbed 

After copying the binary into the folder, Had to loadbin with 0x8000 offset:

J-Link>loadbin C:\Users\bmccormick\Downloads\OpenSDAv2.2_DAPLink_frdmkl26z_rev0242\0244_k20dx_bootloader_update_0x8000.bin,0x8000

pastedImage_2.png

Now after a reset, reboot:

pastedImage_3.png

Now to try the blue button.

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

Noticed that your Jlink.exe was at V647a, I used V6.12. Couldn't find V647a, but did find V647d, no legacy selection in the Beta.

pastedImage_1.png

When first connecting with V647d, couldn't connect, tried powering up on the target USB port, couldn't halt CPU, then powered back up on SDA USB, looks like it did download the bin file:

pastedImage_2.png

Yet another brain fade. I noticed that the link to the bootloader actually was to the FRDM-KL26 NOT FRDM-KL28Z,

so needless to say, it doesn't bootup when the reset button is held and released. I guess its time to go home now.

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

After noticing the USB was on the SDA port and mine wasn't, after switching to the SDA port, here was the loadbin results:

pastedImage_2.pngAfter rebooting into the bootloader:

pastedImage_3.png

Looks like the download did fail, still at version 2.41

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

Thanks Alexis for the detailed example.

The link to https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/snippets-boot-code-headers-monitors/OpenSDAv2.2_DAPLink_frdmkl28z_r... 

took me to:

Page Not Found

The page you requested cannot be found.

After Googling "OpenSDAv2.2_DAPLink_frdmkl26z_rev0242.zip" I found where to download it at:

DAPLink downloads missing from site 

pastedImage_8.png

Running Jlink:

pastedImage_5.png

Augggh.

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

Its gotten worse now and not better. I've uninstalled MCUXpressoIDE_11.0.0_2516.exe, then installed MCUXpressoIDE_10.3.1_2233.exe.

I read in a previous thread someone said 10.3.1 used to work. It didn't.

Then I went back to 11.0.0 and now when I press Debug in the in the Quickstart Panel, no probe is found.

I have tried:

OpenSDA 2.2 Daplink BOOTLOADER for K20DX.bin

OpenSDA 2.2 Daplink BOOTLOADER for K20DX_rev0241.bin

OpenSDA_V2_1.bin

OpenSDA_V3_2.bin

with:

JLink_Windows_V647d.exe

JLink_Windows_V647h.exe

JLink_Windows_V647g.exe

JLink_Windows_V647b.exe

JLink_Windows_V612.exe

I'm seriously considering dropping my choice of the KLM28Z processor for this project. Drafting is waiting for my schematic

and I can't even connect to the debug port.

I have tried the PE Multilink RevB and RevC debugger and neither of those work either in either the 10pin or SDA mode.

I have tried the Segger EDU J-Link probe connected to the 10-pin debug port and it also fails.

0 Kudos
Alexis_A
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ben,

Can you try using this file to load this file using the external debugger?

pastedImage_1.png

Using the J-Link debugger connected to the SWD 10-pin connector near the OpenSDA connector, this will give you access to the MK20 in the board.

pastedImage_2.jpg

Using the J-Link commander console execute the next commands:

- connect

-? (Search for the MK20Dx128XXX5)

-s (select SWD)

-(Enter) (Default)

The log should be like the next one:

pastedImage_4.png

Then to download the OpenSDA use the command loadbin:

-loadbin (path), 0

And the MCUXpresso should recognize the device after clicking the blue bug, as the next image:

pastedImage_4.png

In case you want to debug the target MCU (KL28Z), you should connect the debugger to the other SWD 10 pin connector.

Let me know if this helps you.

Best Regards,

Alexis Andalon

0 Kudos
benmccormick
Contributor III

I have the same problem "Failed to execute MI command", using MCUXpressoIDE_11.0.0_2516.exe with

JLink_Windows_V647d.exe or

JLink_Windows_V646h.exe or

JLink_Windows_V646g.exe

Target is FRDM-KLM28Z SDA

The same thing happens using the Segger Jlink probe and the 10 pin debug connector.

The blinky program runs, the LED is flashing, but the debugger is having problems after the erase. flash, verify cycle.

0 Kudos
nathan4
Contributor II

Have you tried deleting all existing debug configurations then creating a new one from scratch using the blue debug button?

It seems the blue debug button places some additional critical configuration setting in the launch file if created from scratch.  The green debug button "Debug Configuration" does not do this but can be used to edit a configuration (which was created via the blue button).

I *think* the critical configuration entry the blue button adds is...

<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.cdt.launch.PROJECT_BUILD_CONFIG_ID_ATTR" value="com.crt.advproject.config.exe.debug.1497756402"/

...located in the "<project> JLink Debug.launch" file under the project folder.  Or located under the .metadata folder if you haven't launched the configuration yet.

Note, you can browse through the console's "Display Selected Console" to see the actual GDB spam to confirm your "Failed to execute MI Command" failed on the same command as mine.

0 Kudos
nathan4
Contributor II

On windows the debugger works with MCUXpresso IDE v10.3.1 after clicking on the blue debug button which is using SEGGER JLink v6.42b.
On Linux the debugger also works with MCUXpresso IDE v11 after clicking on the blue debug button which is using SEGGER JLink v6.46g.  Note, after I clicked the button a exceptions appeared "Internal: unable to find dfu-util" but clicking okay twice lets the probe discovered via USB.

We are using the JLinkPro via Ethernet so after the configuration was created I edited it to change to Ethernet and everything seems to be working now.  Had a few initial deployment issues but eventually worked!

0 Kudos
Alexis_A
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Nathan,

To give you a better support, could you let me know which MCUXpresso version are you using?

Also could you try reinstalling the J-Link drivers in the next path:

C:\nxp\MCUXpressoIDE_11.0.0_2516\Drivers

Best Regards,

Alexis Andalon

0 Kudos
nathan4
Contributor II

I can re-create the problem using a fresh installation of MCUXpresso 11 on Windows.  Installing the latest SEGGER "J-Link Software and Documentation" pack removes and adds back the same binaries drivers (same size and date stamp).  Even the wizard says nothing needed to be updated.

Re-installing the drivers on my Ubuntu 18.04.2 host show no date or size changes and still produces the problem.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

How did you create the Lauch configuration? Did you press the *blue* debug button, or something else?

0 Kudos