Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash interface initialization

Jump to solution
rans
Senior Contributor I

Hello

I would please like to ask:

On IDE user guide it says that flash is programmed on debug session too.

Is it that the flash interface is initialized with the FCB block  parameters using the already programmed application in flash (which contains FCB), or is it initialized because of flash driver support in MCUXpresso IDE?

Or is it that the answer to this question depends on how we set the MCU memory map inside the IDE (adding driver name on the flash line or deleting the driver name)?

I also seen the following question and the answer there confused me on this topic

Quad SPI flash support on MCUXpresso IDE v10.1.1 for the iMX.RT1050? 

Another question is what the difference between gui programmer and simple press of debug button?

Thank you

ranran

1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

For i.MX RT1050 projects, if the project is configured to build the image at the address of flash, then the managed linker script mechanism will automatically place the files from the xip folder (provided by the SDK) into the correct memory location to allow execute in place. For more details see the https://community.nxp.com/community/mcuxpresso/mcuxpresso-ide/blog/2017/12/07/overview-of-using-the-... 

The flash driver then just programs the image that is created into flash, it doesn't patch it in any way.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

For i.MX RT1050 projects, if the project is configured to build the image at the address of flash, then the managed linker script mechanism will automatically place the files from the xip folder (provided by the SDK) into the correct memory location to allow execute in place. For more details see the https://community.nxp.com/community/mcuxpresso/mcuxpresso-ide/blog/2017/12/07/overview-of-using-the-... 

The flash driver then just programs the image that is created into flash, it doesn't patch it in any way.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello ran shalit ,

Download image to external flash (hyper flash or QSPI flash), need two additional parts:

flash driver and image header XIP.

- In the new MCUXpresso IDE v10.2.1, flash drivers are located at: <MDE install Directory>\ide\bin\Flash,

about detail you can have a look at the DOC : Overview of using the MIMXRT1050-EVK(B) with MCUXpresso IDE

-> 7 Flash Drivers.

- "In the case of the RT1050, all fash memory is external to the MCU and therefore unknown
to the BootROM. For the BootROM to boot an image from this fash, some additonal
informaton must be supplied to allow fash initalisaton and optmal coniguraton etc. The
BootROM speciicaton expects this coniguraton data to be located in an 8KB header at the
start of the users image (applicaton)r. An XIP image supplies this informaton in an 8KB
header at the start image itself." (RT1050_BriefOverview_v201).

In SDK demos and create new project, automatcally including an xip folder.

About the detail about XIP, you can also refer to the below DOC ->9 XIP Hiw and Why .

- Configure the flash driver and address in below view:

pastedImage_23.png

-  About "gui programmer and simple press of debug button", the GUI Flash Tool directly flash program,

while the debug button , also includes debug function with IDE.

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
rans
Senior Contributor I

Hello Alice

I am trying to figure out how to create cfx file.

I  use the hyperflash zip project in the driver examples.

But building does not creare cfx in builds folder, but only axf format.

Do you mind help with it? Can you please say how to create cfx? Why is it not created on building pressing the build button? 

Thank you

Ranran

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

You are building the Debug build configuration, which just builds the .axf file. If you build one of the release configurations, then it will create the .cfx file

Note that a .cfx file is just a renamed .axf file - there is no other difference.