Every other debug launch fails

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every other debug launch fails

skysat_junk
Contributor II

Just upgraded MCUXpresso to v11 from v10.2.0.  Sure, debugging works - then fail, then works, then fails, etc.  This is on an Embedded Artists LPCXpresso LPC1769 (yes, the old, old one).  It worked just fine with 10.2.0.

Randy

MCUXpresso IDE RedlinkMulti Driver v11.0 (May 22 2019 13:46:40 - crt_emu_cm_redlink build 6)

Found part description in XML file nxp_lpc17xx.xme

Reconnected to existing LinkServer process.

Connecting to probe 1 core 0 (using server started externally) reports:

'Ee(42). Could not connect to core.'

Retrying...

Reconnected to existing LinkServer process.

Server OK but no connection to probe 1 core 0 (after 3 attempts) - Ee(42). Could not connect to core.

Failed on connect: Ee(42). Could not connect to core.

No connection to chip's debug port

0 Kudos
13 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I've now managed to replicate this behaviour on one of our test machines (but not on others), and have a potential workaround for you to try whilst we investigate further.

Please can you try modifying the launch configuration for your project to change the the "Reset Handling" entry to make it empty (to do this double click on the .launch file in the Project Explorer View). Does this allow you to debug successfully multiple times in a row?

pastedImage_1.png

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

skysat_junk
Contributor II

That did not work.  Although, it gave even odder behavior before I power cycled the board (something about not being able to halt the processor).  I tried all 5 setting (with a power cycle in between) without effect.

Randy

p.s.  No documentation for this page?

0 Kudos

skysat_junk
Contributor II

11.0.1 - still not working.

Randy

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you confirm if you see the same problem if you import and debug one of the "simple" examples provided in 

install_dir\ide\Examples\Legacy\NXP\LPC1000\LPC17xx\LPCXpresso176x_cmsis2.zip

Can you please provide the text contents of the Debug Messages Console from both a successful and failing debug session, as described in section 19.12, "The Console View" of the MCUXpresso IDE v11.0 User Guide?

Can you also confirm the host OS you are running the IDE on?

Finally, please try running through the troubleshooting section of Booting LPC-Link  and let us know if any of these suggestions help.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

skysat_junk
Contributor II
  • In a fresh workspace I built 'LPCX176x_cmsis2_systick' (from LPCXpresso176x_cmsis2.zip).  It exhibits the same behavior.
  • I have attached a good and bad log file.  I note that the 'good' one ends with "GDB stub (crt_emu_cm_redlink) terminating - GDB protocol problem: Pipe has been closed by GDB."  That doesn't sound too good!
  • Windows 7/64.
  • I looked through the troubleshooting section of 'Booting LPC-Link' and tried everything there except for "re-installing the host device driver" - not sure how.

More:

• Just for the heck of it I have also attached the console for RedlinkServer.
  • I just discovered the 'Boot Debug Probe' button.  If I press it after every successful run, I never get any failures.  That's a clue, not a solution.

Randy

0 Kudos

skysat_junk
Contributor II

Sorry.  Pressing 'Boot Debug Probe' does NOT guarantee success.  I don't know what I was thinking.

Randy

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Randy John,

Could you please first check whether the Device Manager of you PC can recognize your board.

If yes, test a simple project to debug.

If  still can't work , please take a video or screenshots show your steps and error, thanks.

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

skysat_junk
Contributor II

Here are two screen shots.  The first (at 9:52) is after a successful debug session.  I reached the first statement and then terminated.  The second (at 9:53) shows a subsequent debug session which failed.  The steps are simple.  Debug, Terminate then Debug again.  Occasionally I get two successes in a row but usually it's success, fail, success, fail, etc.  The project was generated by MCUXpresso.

Randy

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Randy,

- Please "Clean up debug" before next debug:

pastedImage_1.png

- It seems there is also issue in your first debug, please test a demo. Also send your project to me.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

skysat_junk
Contributor II

I already tried "Cleanup Debug" - it doesn't work.  The project is just an NXP generated empty project.

Randy

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Randy,

Delete the .metadata folder under worksapce:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

skysat_junk
Contributor II

Well, that was a disaster.  Fortunately, I saved the old folder.  A simpler way to do what you ask is to create a project in a new workspace.  Yes, I already tried that.  It didn't work.

Randy

0 Kudos

Anonymous
Deactivated User

My problem may not be the exact same but I seem to have more problems with the newer versions of the tools.

I am having even more issues with newer boards with an LPC-Link2 debug probe on the board.

0 Kudos