cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUX rearrange project directory structure

mci
Contributor III

Hello,

I have spent the last 2.5 months trying out & modifying different SDK imported projects according to the needs of the new embedded product that I'll be developing which is based on the MKL28Z512VLL7 MCU.   I have integrated & combined a 4+ different system modules (e.g. ADC, TSI, PWM, LPTMR, INTMUX) in a single project.   All these times I have been using the same & default MCUXpresso Project Explorer directory or folder structure that is shown on the left side of the workspace, which is like:

/board

/component & subdirectories below

/device

/drivers

/source

/startup

/utilities

Given that I have many different features to implement combining all the different SDK driver files and functions, I would like to plan & make a different structure, at least under the "/source" directory.

Right now, all the flat single layer /source directory.

For my product's project, can I start adding subdirectories under /source to make things more organized for our own custom board's new & added custom code, maybe like this:

/source

projstart.c   -  runs before main file main() function

/source/App

/source/Drv

/source/SConsole

... etc.

Will MCUXpresso builder automatically update all make build files to create & add such new directories & subdirectories to build the new binary that works for the target custom board?

Let's say I start from a FreeRTOS based project & build features, tasks, function calls, call backs on top of it in different source files under different /source/directories, is there a limit where I should not "touch" or modify any based directory structure like /board, /component, /device, /drivers.... which come as included in the basic SDK project?

Please advise.

Thanks for the help.

MI

0 Kudos
4 Replies

mci
Contributor III

Hi Felipe,

Thanks for your response.

Right now, the current SDK project I'm modifying has this include settings:

../board
../source
../
../drivers
../device
../CMSIS
../utilities
../component/serial_manager
../component/uart
../component/lists

I apologize if this is dumb question:

If I understood your correctly, if I add a .c source file in a subdirectory under /source, e.g. /source/App/mainprog.c, I don't need to add the ../source/App  to the above INCLUDE list?   But if I add the header file in a subdirectory, e.g. /source/App/mainprog.h, I have to add ../source/App to the INCLUDE list?

Or whether I add a .c or a .h in a new subdirectory e.g. /source/App, I should put that on the INCLUDE list?

Else, compiler will not automatically create make file & build the new file folders?

Thanks again for the help.

MI

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Once you build the project, MCUXpresso will give you an error that the project cannot find the file. Please check snippets below.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Once you add the new directory to the includes paths you shouldn’t have any issue.

I hope it helps!

Best regards,

Felipe

mci
Contributor III

Hi again, Felipe.

Thank you very much for the help.

I had to know what results I get before I tried it so I can prevent such problems.

Thanks for trying out yourself.

Regards,

MI

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi MI,

You shouldn’t have any issues creating a new folder under the source folder.

If you add a header file to the source directory, you may have to add it in the include paths in Properties > C/C++ Build > Settings > Tool Settings > MCU C Compiler > Includes.

I hope it helps!

Have a great day,
Felipe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------