Running Kinetis Flash Tool under VirtualBox (can't access USB or Serial)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Kinetis Flash Tool under VirtualBox (can't access USB or Serial)

robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

I'd like to run the Kinetis Flash Tool ("KFT") in order to compute CRCs for the Boot Control Area and all those other wonderful things that KFT can do.

As I'm on a Mac, I need to run KFT under VirtualBox.  And I think my question is rather simple:

I'm connected to my FRDM-KL27Z board via USB on the Mac.  And I can access it as a serial device under /dev.cu.usbmodemNNN.  

When I launch Kinetis Flash Tool under Virtualbox, I can't connect to the FRDM-KL27Z via USB or via Serial.  If I recall correctly, there's some special sequence you need to go through in order to get OS X to release the USB port so that the VirtualBox USB driver can connect them.  

So the short question is: how can I connect to the FRDM board from Kinetis Flash Tool running under VirtualBox?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

miduo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Actually I have never try to run the KFT on an Mac OS. And I remembered that the Mac OS is quite different with others even run with a VirturalBox. (not sure the real reason). You may would like to see this post:https://community.nxp.com/thread/440033.

So would you mind to change another Macbook to try? Does the problem still exist?

0 Kudos

robertpoor
Senior Contributor I
I have never try to run the KFT on an Mac OS.  ... would you mind to change to another Macbook?

Now I am confused: is it possible to run the KFT on Mac OS X?  To the best of my understanding, KFT only runs under Windows.  This is why I was trying to run KFT under VirtualBox.

The link you included (https://community.nxp.com/thread/440033) is about running KDS and JLink under OS X -- I do that all the time and have no problem with it.

Are you suggesting that KFT is included as a part of KDS?  

Can you please clarify?

0 Kudos