Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux and u-boot sources for LS2085A-RDB

Jump to solution
alexanderspyrid
Contributor II

Hello,

I just got the LS2085A-RDB board and I am trying to boot Linux.

Unfortunately there was no documentation delivered, and although online sources refer to an SDK for this particular board, I could anything applicable (QorIQ v.18 seems to be for other platforms). I also tried to boot upstream Linux and while it seems to work (defconfig and fsl-ls2085a-simu.dtb), not all devices are recognized so I am not successful to boot from USB or NFS.

Can you please point me to official resources for a default kernel configuration, device tree and maybe u-boot upgrade procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution
alexanderspyrid
Contributor II

Ok, after some back and forth with support, I managed to get access to Freescale's extranet. As Stuart suggested, Early Access Release 5 (EAR5) SDK should have everything needed.

Thank you all for your support.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
alexanderspyrid
Contributor II

Ok, after some back and forth with support, I managed to get access to Freescale's extranet. As Stuart suggested, Early Access Release 5 (EAR5) SDK should have everything needed.

Thank you all for your support.

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Alexander

With mainline Linux, why would you not use fsl-ls2085a.dtsi

instead ? If you use this dts file, what devices you are looking

for that are not supported ?

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos
alexanderspyrid
Contributor II

Hello Sinan,

fsl-ls2085a.dtsi is included in the fsl-ls2085a.dts, dtsi files are not meant to be used directly. In any case in these files there is only the definition of the CPUs and an SMSC network device (along with the 2 UARTS), which as far as I know is not the correct one for the actual board. I don't see any USB, SATA or PCIe devices defined in these files.

In another thread on this forum​, it is mentioned "First I suggest you install the Linux SDK for LS2085ARDB...". But so far I am missing from where I can find this SDK.

Regards.

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Alexander

There is a new dts file now out there, I am not

sure if you are aware of it. Give it a try if it is

different than what you have :

[PATCH v4 11/12] dts/ls2080a: Add DTS support for LS2080a QDS & RDB boards — Linux Network Developme...

And the dtsi update to support pcie, sata, usb etc. :

[PATCH v3 08/12] dts/ls2080a: Update DTSI to add support of various peripherals — ARM, OMAP, Xscale ...

Hope this helps

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos
alexanderspyrid
Contributor II

Hello Sinan,

Thank you for the pointer, I wasn't aware that the upstreaming process for LS2085a was underway. That's finally some good news.

Still, I don't find it acceptable that I have to hunt for patches all over the place to make use of the platform. In any case I tried to apply this series against latest upstream kernel but there are a lot of failed hanks, which I am definitely not going to solve manually. Unfortunately the patch series seems to have also other dependencies and the link to linux.freescale.net, for the rebase target, is of course a deadlink.

And here we are, one month after I first received the LS2085A-RDB platform, and it is still completely unusable. No peripherals are recognized and the only way to boot it is through a ramdisk. I find it quite unprofessional that after one month, Freescale support still cannot give me access to proper sources/SDK, to start development on the platform.

Thanks for your help, but I am really disappointed with how Freescale treats their customers, we are talking about basic things here....

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Alexander

Sorry to hear things didn't work as you expected with FSL support on this board.

It is possible that they'll ramp  up more resources soon for supporting this board

here. As for the mainline patches and the link I sent, they should all apply to

mainline master branch without a problem. Those patches are about to

become part of mainline soon in the next release so you won't have to

patch.

If I can get my hands on an LS2085-RDB board I could be a bit more help.

I'll check with karinavalencia to see if I can arrange this with FSL.

Meanwhile please let me know if you are not able to use those patches

with mainline Linux and I'll see if I can be of more help.

Best regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos
alexanderspyrid
Contributor II

Hello again,

It seems that ls2080a-rdb support is finally included on linux-next, but I am lacking proper configuration for the kernel. I started with aarch64 defconfig and enabled any driver that is referenced by the compatibility string in the ls2080a-rdb dts. Still I have problems with device registration during bootup, if you happen to know a working ls2080a-rdb kernel config on linux-next that would be very helpful.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
stuartyoder-b08
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Do you have a Freescale FAE you are working with?  ...they should get you the Early Access Release 5 (EAR5) SDK which has everything you need.   Where did you get the LS2085A-RDB board?   The first publicly available SDK from Freescale will be in early December.

(The linux-next kernel should boot to prompt, but you will have limited device support, because most drivers are not upstream)

Stuart

0 Kudos
alexanderspyrid
Contributor II

The first publicly available SDK from Freescale will be in early December.

Hello Stuart,

Just wondering if there are any news regarding the public release of the SDK. In case you have a new target date that would be convenient to know.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
alexanderspyrid
Contributor II

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for providing more info on this.

I am not aware of any FAE, so I guess no. We just bought the board from Freescale's online shop, it came without any documentation other than a single A4 page pointing to Freescale extranet, which we don't have access to. I had some exchanges with a product marketing person from Freescale to give me access to the SDK, but I am still waiting for a response (although it's been some time now without any news).

I somehow need to find out how to access the EAR5 SDK.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Alexander

Yes you are right. Sorry at first I thought it

was a dts file. It seems mainline support is

not fully there yet. I'll take a look at it to see

how we can add support for eth, usb and sata,

pcie but I don't have access to the board yet

to test it. As for SDK, I suggest you just to send a

Service Request to Freescale and I feel they

will provide you their SDK for download.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos