Is it possible to reduce power consumption by disabling the CPU Core?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jump to solution
gyosunshim
Contributor III

Hello,

I am using LSDK18.03-k4.9 for LS1043A.

This is a situation where a lot of heat is generated due to the system used without the FAN, so the power consumption must be reduced.

How can I disable power consumption if I can reduce it?

Desperately waiting for an answer.

Thank you,

Best regards.

Gyosun.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Disabling a core is equivalent to stopping its internal clocks (PW15 low power state).

Estimated power saving from moving a core into PW15 state is provided in the QorIQ LS1043A, LS1023A Data Sheet, 3.5 Low power mode saving estimation.

For the LS1043A the saving is not significant, so there will be very small benefit in disabling cores.

Considering aforesaid it is needed to implement a heatsink having better cooling capabiliy.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Disabling a core is equivalent to stopping its internal clocks (PW15 low power state).

Estimated power saving from moving a core into PW15 state is provided in the QorIQ LS1043A, LS1023A Data Sheet, 3.5 Low power mode saving estimation.

For the LS1043A the saving is not significant, so there will be very small benefit in disabling cores.

Considering aforesaid it is needed to implement a heatsink having better cooling capabiliy.

gyosunshim
Contributor III

Hi ufedor,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Lastly, I'll check only one.

If you set 3 of 4 cores to PW15 mode, can you understand that there is only 0.04w x 3 = 0.12w savings at 1GHz?

please answer about my question.

low_power_mode.png

Thank you,

Best regards.

Gyosun.

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Your understanding is correct.

0 Kudos
gyosunshim
Contributor III

Hi ufedor,

Thanks for the clear answer.

I'll approach it in a different way.

Thank you,

Best regards.

Gyosun.

0 Kudos
notshure
Contributor IV

hello gyosunshim,
I am also interested in disabling the CORE 1 (ARM a53), CORE 2 (ARM a53) and CORE 3 (ARM a53) of the QorIQ LS1043A. How did you finally solve this problem?

0 Kudos