Difference between the Flex SPI and SPI on LS1028

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between the Flex SPI and SPI on LS1028

rdr3e
Contributor I

Difference between Flex SPI and SPI on nxp ls1028.

Hi I've got a NXP LS 1028A RDB board. We are going to use ls1028 as a main processor on our custom board. I was looking at the documentation trying to find something about SPI. From what I've found this processor supports two types of SPI controllers - Flex SPI and SPI.
From what I understand Flex SPI is an optimised controller used to communicate with memory based devices like SPI nor. The documentation clearly says that it supports SPI NOR flash in single/dual/quad/octal mode. It seems that it uses some predefined commands accessed by something called LUT to issue common flash commands to the target device. It seems that this controller is rather flash oriented.

So my questions are:
- can I use this Flex SPI to communicate with a device other than SPI NOR? In particular can I use this SPI controller to talk to a device which is not like SPI NOR FLASH? Can I create a SPI protocol driver that will use this bus to talk to my custom device?
- does the other SPI - this "normal" not flex - described in as far as I remember chapter 30 of RF support quad spi? The documentation does not mention about it.

I would be very grateful for explanation as I am a newbie and googling and browsing through the drivers for hours however I haven't found any clear answer.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos