XIP vs. SRAMx run typical use case for AFreeRTOS, etc.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIP vs. SRAMx run typical use case for AFreeRTOS, etc.

stuartrubin
Contributor III

I would like to know what the "typical" use case is for running XIP vs. in SRAMx, especially if using AFreeRTOS (or some other RTOS). My estimations are that a simple AFreeRTOS application, if NOT using XIP, would consume most of the SRAM just to run, leaving very little for data, but maybe that's enough.

In what cases are people choosing to run in SRAM rather than XIP (i.e. code directly from SPI NOR)?

All thoughts are welcome. Thank you!

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Stuart Rubin, 

Normally when you run in XIP mode is because (as you mentioned) the application is to big to fit in the SRAM. If your application is not that big and fits in SRAM there's no point on running in XIP mode since the performance is really limited in this mode. 

I recommend you to take a look into the following presentation to learn more about the different performance that you have when you are running in XIP mode instead of running from the SRAM. 

LPC key feature_SPIFI 

Hope it helps!

Victor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos