cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC55s16-EVK: Default Demo Firmware?

Jump to solution
dougpaulsen
Contributor IV

Okay. Maybe I'm just a little **bleep** but before I overwrite it, does anyone know where the default demo program that was supplied in my brand new LPC55s16-EVK board resides (just in case I want to restore it)? 

Out of the box my board blinks the green LED every 1 Hz and has each of the user push buttons tied to a LED color.  Seems like the project ought to reside in the SDK but a peruse through that catalog doesn't find a obvious candidate.

Thanks!

doug

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
dougpaulsen
Contributor IV

Okay, I got it! 

In the quickstart menu header, open the "LS" pulll down and sellect "attach to running target with Link Server".  
Halt execution.
On the memory window, select the export icon, enter the range (0-0x3FFFF) and a file name that you'll remember later!.  (Keep in mind the import icon right next to the export icon for later restoring the "as shipped" flash content).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dougpaulsen
Contributor IV

Okay, I got it! 

In the quickstart menu header, open the "LS" pulll down and sellect "attach to running target with Link Server".  
Halt execution.
On the memory window, select the export icon, enter the range (0-0x3FFFF) and a file name that you'll remember later!.  (Keep in mind the import icon right next to the export icon for later restoring the "as shipped" flash content).

0 Kudos
dougpaulsen
Contributor IV

Sorry!  I got these post out of order.  This solution is NOT where the as delivered firmware resides (that's still open to suggestions) but rather how to do a brain dump of the flash contents.  That's fine with me so I can get the board back to as delivered condition when I'm done with it.  The project for the as delivered firmware content would be nice, but not essential.

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Doug,

I think the default example code for the LPC55S16-EVK board is the LED_Blinky project in SDK package as following Fig

Pls check.

BR

XiangJun Rong

xiangjun_rong_0-1614483319616.png

0 Kudos
dougpaulsen
Contributor IV

Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree the LED_Blinky project ought to be the LPC55S16-EVK "as delivered" firmware.  The "as delivered" firmware, however, configures three board buttons to display different LED colors.  A static reading of the LED_Blinky project seems to show it only configures a single button for LED control so that doesn't appear to be the "as delivered" firmware.

I would like, after I'm done with the board, to return it to original condition for the benefit of the next user, so finding the original firmware would be desirable but of course not essential.

The other option, which I've done often with IDEs I'm more familiar with, is to do a brain dump of flash, save it, and restore it later.  I recall some mention of attaching to a running application without flashing.  That ought to do the trick (assuming the flash isn't protected).  I think there was mention of this in an instructional video, although I'm vague on which one.  Is this technique documented somewhere (sorry, I haven't looked yet - poor strategy - but I will as soon as I'm done here).

Thanks!

doug

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,  Doug,

In general, we do not provide the technique to read flash to a file from design perspective.

The LPC55S16 is security processor or can be applied for security application, if anyone could read the code/data to file, it is ironical.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos
dougpaulsen
Contributor IV

Interesting.... From developer's perspective, being able to access flash memory for diagnostic purposes during development can be highly desirable.  Other processors, such as NXPs formerly Freescale devices, provide the option to protect flash content.  Set that up to leave flash unprotected in debug build, protected in release build via Cyclone Pro flashing and life is good.

Anyway, within MCUXprosso IDE 11.3 one is able to readily export memory, including flash.  I have done so to copy for later return the as shipped LPC55S16-EVK demo firmware.  I briefly tried to restore the export with the companion import feature.  The import did NOT work, which kind-of makes sense as one need to specifically erase and then write flash.  I have spent way too much time figuring out the brain dump in the first place.  I'll save figuring out how to restore it later (hopefully when I'm more familiar with MCUXpresso).

0 Kudos