LPC54018 using emc with sdram for high frequrence

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC54018 using emc with sdram for high frequrence

lee_
Contributor II

Hello everyone. I need to run the code in sdram ,but i have some question.

MCU: LPC54018

DDR:IS42S16160J

when the frequence of EMC is lower than 90M HZ, SDRAM_DataBusCheck and  SDRAM_AddressBusCheck are boss OK.However, when the frequence of emc is higher than 90M, SDRAM_DataBusCheck is ok but  SDRAM_AddressBusCheck is not.

I find a comment in sdk example that "if you change the divide to 0 and emc clock is larger than 100M, please take refer to emc.dox to adjust EMC clock delay". So i find a register named "EMCDYCCTRL" in MCU datasheet and try to adjust it. The EMCDYCCTRL[4:0] is used to adjust programmable delay value for EMC outputs in command delayed mode, the reset value is 0x10,and when i adjust it to 0x08, the sdram can pass the test in 96M HZ, and when i adjust it to 0x04, the sdram can pass the test in 108M Hz. However, when i adjust the value to 0x00, sdram can't pass the test in 120M HZ. And when i run the same code(90M and 108M) in the other boards , it is unstable.

There is another register of mcu named "EMCCAL", which allows calibration of the EMC programmbable delays by providing a real-time representation of the value of those delays.Delay settings that are in use in the appication can be calibrated to compensate for intrinsic differences between devices, and for changes in ambient conditons.it reurns the count of the approximately 50MHz ring oscillator that occur during 32 clocks of the FRO 12MHz. This represents the composite effect of processing variation,internal regulator supply voltage, and ambient temperature. 

I have some questions:

why i need to adjust the EMCDLYCTRL register when the frequence of emc is larger than 90MHz?

what's the connection of EMCDLYCTRL  and EMCCAL ? whether i need to adjust the EMCDLYCTRL according to the returns of EMCCAL?

when i read the returns of the EMCCAL (EMCCAL [7:0]),the value is 0x234, but the standard value should be 134, if it is too large?

why the sdram is unstable when i run the same code in another boards, should i adjust the EMCDYCCTRL  again according to the EMCCAL of this boards?

Thanks for alls .

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

SDRAM timing at 120MHz is critical on these MCUs, especially under different temperature conditions.

My experience is: if you connect a small capacitor to the SDRAM clock signal you get some more margin. Try it with capacitors in the range of 5 ... 12pF.

With this patch you delay the clock signal a little bit. PCB designers tend to make these lines as short as possible and give them the same length as the other SDRAM lines, but in this case it would be good to have the clock line longer than the address/data lines.

Regards,

Bernhard.

0 Kudos

lee_
Contributor II

Thanks for your reply.

Can you tell me why  it would be good to have the clock line longer than the address/data lines in this case ?

I find from the document that the maximum clock frequency of the EMC module of this mcu is 100MHz. For higher bus frequency, the sdram set-up or holding timing could be a problem and i need to adjust the command delay time.

At the sdram, all input signals are sampled on the positive edge of the clock pin. To give sdram longer set-up time before EMC samples data, the data can be sampled after rising edge on EMC_CLK pin. It can be achieved by using the command delay time.

I think the time should be larger with the frequence of sdram increasing. However ,the result of test show that it is not. With the frequence of sdram increasing,i must make the value of the emcclkdelay time be lower. I don't know why it is that. Does it mean that  giving sdram longer set-up time will reduce its holding time and  i must reduce the set-up time to give sdram longer holding time ?

Regards,

LJX.

0 Kudos