LPC54018 & Baseboard Serial Port issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC54018 & Baseboard Serial Port issue

bruceboettjer
Contributor II

I have been working with the LPC54018 and the LPC Treadstone baseboard.

When we first received the baseboard and mounted the LPC54018 module to it, the UART functionality over USB worked (From the motherboard).

As soon as we compiled the AWS IOT OS and tried to debug with the baseboard, we learned that we had to update the firmware on the baseboard in order to connect and proceed.

When we used the NXP tool (LCT_Programming_Firmware) to update the baseboard firmware, we are able to then debug and see activity on the AWS IOT console (Verifying that we connect wirelessly to the Amazon servers), but we are now unable to see any console activity over the same UART.

... This makes itreally difficult to develop any applications with this hardware.

Is a way to be able to both develop with AWS IOT and get a serial console from the motherboard?

Labels (1)
2 Replies

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Bruce,

The AWS examples work with the micro USB connector of the LPC54018 IoT module even if you connect the baseboard. All the communication with the terminal happens through a USB-Virtual COM that comes from the USB connector of the IoT module (J8).

In the page of the board we have a getting started tutorial to help you run the example "shadow_wifi". If you are using the base board the only difference is that you won't need the external debugger, since in the base board you already have a on-board, high-speed USB based, Link2 debug probe with CMSIS-DAP and SEGGER J-Link protocol options for debugging of the installed module

Link to the getting started tutorial. 

Hope it helps!

Victor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

0 Kudos

bruceboettjer
Contributor II

Victor,

Thank you for the response.

The demos all assume that the USB Serial console driver is already installed, and none of the packages appear to include a driver.

Upon installing the USB cable, I can see a 'MCU VIRTUAL COM  DEMO' device show up, but no driver is ever assigned to it.

I have paged through the install contents of the MCUExpresso install and the LPC SDK but can find no driver.

I re-downloaded the SDK and found the driver in that zip file under:

C:\nxp\SDK_2.3.1_LPC54018-IoT-Module.zip\boards\lpc54018iotmodule\usb_examples\usb_device_cdc_vcom

I installed this driver and was able to see serial port activity while running the AWS IOT demo.

Thank You Very Much for your time,

Bruce Boettjer