LPC43xx New Project wizard's LPCOpen startup files do not initialize the VTOR or FPU

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC43xx New Project wizard's LPCOpen startup files do not initialize the VTOR or FPU

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jonper on Mon Apr 07 11:20:51 MST 2014
Testing with LPCXpresso 7.1.1 and LPCOpen 2.09 on a Keil MCB4357 with LPC-Link2:

New Project... > LPC4x > LPC43xx (Cortex-M4 basic) > LPCOpen - C Project > ... will create a project and src folder with a cr_startup_lpc43xx.c file very similar to its counterpart in the LCPOpen distribution software archives.

The wizard also creates a sysinit.c in the same src folder, but that file omits twenty lines of VTOR and FPU initialization code present in the sysinit.c that accompanies the distribution software examples.

The wizard also populates the Properties > C/C+ build > Settings > Symbols box with  __USE_LPCOPEN amongst other defines.

The combination of a defined __USE_LPCOPEN conditionally excluding cr_startup_lpc43xx.c's VTOR/FPU initialization code, along with the sysinit.c missing VTOR/FPU initialization code means that these registers never get initialized.

The VTOR net effect is a big fat nothing for the majority of apps which build at their default boot location. The problem gets inadvertently covered up by the shadow ram, which also defaults to the encompassing the boot location and giving it an alternate presence at location zero; just like the default VTORs offset register. So, troubles only follow if the application loads elsewhere or if the shadow pointer gets to moved away from the boot location.

From minimal testing, the FPU net effect with Redlib, nohost, SoftABI, and DEBUGOUT("sqrt(%u) = %f\r\n", i, sqrt(i)); added to the simple main() is a hard fault.

Adding back the twenty lines of VTOR and FPU initialization code from a LPCOpen examples to the wizards sysinit.c sends out the integer and float values, and allows the base load address to depart from the norm. That is an easy enough manual workaround, but it would be kindness to new users to just have them automatically work as expected from the get-go.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

benoitruelland
Contributor I

Hello,

I have the same problem with a lpc43s37 and a boot code.
I search your VTOR/FPU initialization code on examples but without success.
Is it possible to put here the missing code please?

thanks,

Benoit

0 Kudos

benoitruelland
Contributor I

I resolve my problem by setting FPCCR=0 :

in sysinit.c

#if defined(__FPU_PRESENT) && __FPU_PRESENT == 1
*(unsigned *)(0xE000EF34) =0;
  fpuInit();
#endif

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by JohnR on Tue Apr 08 05:33:01 MST 2014

I ran into the same problem a few days ago with lpc_board_nxp_lpclink2_4370. Setting up a new project, I had assumed that the missing instructions in the generated sysinit.c file were provided elsewhere but of course nothing ran properly.

I copied a sysinit.c file from one of the examples and everything started working as expected.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Apr 07 18:05:51 MST 2014
Thanks for highlighting this. It looks like things have got slightly out of step here. We'll work to put this right in future LPCOpen/LPCXpresso releases.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos