Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating NACK at I2C communication

nxp68994
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I am using a LPC18S37 together with an NXP A700x controller via I2C bus. I assume the I2C controller inside of the LPC18S37 is the same for all LPC family members.

In my reading sequence I terminate each byte with setting AA bit in CONSET and setting SI in CONCLR register. This generates an ACK on the bus. The last byte must be terminated with a NACK (this is a requirement of the A700x controller). To achieve this, I set AA in CONCLR (this should generate a NACK), set STO in CONSET and set SI in CONCLR. STO is required to terminate the sequence and SI to set the state to the bus. But my analyzer show me that the bus is terminated always with ACK and STO set, not with NACK and STO.

Is here something which I make wrong?

Thank you for a hint.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm glad you were able to resolve this and I do apologize for misunderstanding the question.

Have a great day!

Sabina

0 Kudos

nxp68994
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sabina and all others,

In the meanwhile, the issue have been solved. As feedback from a colleague, I got a helpful tip. In an interrupt based I2C communication, the AA setting is not for the current byte which is received instantly with this interrupt, but always for the next byte waiting in the I2C sender. When I set AA in CONSET, I signal to the sender I am willing to take the next byte. But when I set AA in CONCLR I signal that I want to terminate the communication with the next byte. If I read the final byte, I only set STO in CONSET and do not need to set AA anymore.

Unfortunately, you will not find any word about this behavior in the I2C section of the user manual UM10430 of the LPC18S37.

Please allow me one word to the A7000 security controller. I use an official NXP demo board OM13076 (a schematic is also available) which contains a LPC18S37 Cortex-M3 controller and a A7000 Secure Element (SE). In my application I store card keys on the A7000 and allow remote users to authenticate theirs cards with keys saved inside of the A7000. The benefit of the A7000 is that you can write your own software and save it in the SE. Finally, the A7000 is locked with special keys against unauthorized access and only such commands which you have implemented are able to be used for the outside communication. For me the A7000 is the perfect solution for a security application.

If anybody in the community is interested in the A7000, please take in mind the A7000 is a security product and any user must sign an NDA with NXP to get datasheets and application notes.

Sabina, as you can see, my question did not affect any security internals of A7000 and was solved by changing the I2C controller behavior of the LPC18S37.

Thank you very much for your effort to solve this issue.

Wolf

0 Kudos

Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Wolfgang,

I'll be contacting you via email. Due to the confidentiality of this product we will not be able to discuss specific protocols through this medium.

Best Regards,

Sabina

0 Kudos