Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot from SPI instead of SPIFI ?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Pacman on Thu Oct 24 07:50:08 MST 2013
In theory, wouldn't it be possible to connect a non-bootable SPIFI to the Quad-SPI interface, and then boot using the SPI settings instead of SPIFI ?
I have a couple of - apparantly - non-bootable SPIFI, and it seems it's more or less impossible to get low-cost bootable SPIFI as SO8, so I'm considering this solution.
Does anyone know if can be done ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Pacman on Wed Oct 30 01:31:26 MST 2013
Those SPIFI chips I have are:
Spansion S25FL032P0XMFI011
Micron N25Q032A13ESC
Micron N25Q032A13ESE

Those are low-cost (which is necessary).
The footprint I need is a SO8, but when I contacted Spansion, I was told that the IC I have already is EOL or going EOL soon.

So far I could not boot from them, but this might be a human error, please let me know if any of them should be bootable.
Unfortunately, the LPC4310 and LPC4330 I have are most likely with the old boot-ROM (I have not been able to verify this yet).
Is there a way of finding the boot ROM version, except from "talking" to the boot-loader ?
(I'm using OpenOCD, which have commands for displaying the contents of a single address and for dumping a memory-block to a file).

I also have one LPC4337 for the beginning of the development phase, which I succeeded in flash-programming for the very first time yesterday.
The final product needs as much internal SRAM as possible, which is why I need to use the LPC4330.

Update: It seems that someone else had success with booting from the S25FL032P!
-So I must have missed something somewhere.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mc on Fri Oct 25 09:57:30 MST 2013
Hi Pacman,
Could you please post some examples of non bootable QSPI flashes, you want to use? If you are using any NXP microcontroller with internal flash you can always boot from internal flash and then execute from QSPI flash. You will need to boot from an external flash(SPI/QSPI/parallel flash) if there is no internal flash in the microcontroller i.e.LPC1850. Or you have a specific requirement to boot from external flash.
0 Kudos