cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup for LPC54608

TEMCEFF
Contributor IV

Hi,

I'm using LPC54608 Controller in my application. I want to safely shutdown my controller when the main supply is off.

1 or 2 minutes backup is more than enough for my requirement. But I don't understand how to provide that backup for 2 minutes. 

Thanks in advance.

BR,

Avinash.

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

You could use a larger electrolytic cap for the power supply, and some NVM to save relevant states.

The larger cap just keeps up the supply voltage some milliseconds, long enough to save the state values.

Would add some BOM costs, but allow for arbitrary long power outages.

I used this method some while ago for lighting equipment, wher this was a requirement of the standard the devices satisfied.

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Avinash,

The first that comes to my mind is to use a backup battery and an external logic.

Following this idea,  you could design or implement a circuit to help   your application to  perform a transition between main supply  to backup battery   and  help  to  disconnect the backup battery after two minutes.

Please, let me know If I can help you further.

Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

TEMCEFF
Contributor IV

Thanks for your reply,

For 2 minutes backup supercapacitor may be the right choice. Is there any recommended circuit for NXP controller with a supercapacitor.

Regards,

Avinash.

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Avinash,

Thank you for your reply as well,

Currently, we do not have recommended circuit schematics for a supercapacitor back up supply for the LPC54608 that I could provide you.

However, you can follow:

I apologize for my late reply .

Regards,

Diego

0 Kudos