Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

256Mbit Flash with SPIFI

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jokn on Mon Aug 13 01:05:31 MST 2012
I have a new custom LPC4330 CPU board on may desk with a Spansion 256Mbit S25FL256S serial flash.
http://www.spansion.com/Support/Datasheets/S25FL128S_256S_00.pdf
I’ m working with Keil MDK and I think a have to modify the Keil Flash module. But I’m also afraid if this flash device will work with the lpc4300 boot software. Did anyone get such a big flash working with the lpc4300 SPIFI?
Thanks.
Josef
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jdurand on Wed Sep 05 09:04:36 MST 2012
This reminded me of a processor I worked on long ago (don't remember which processor), but for that one the boot code had to be in the first page of the highest memory bank because all the "spare" address lines were pulled high until the boot code could activate them.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bunrockter on Mon Sep 03 01:04:57 MST 2012
I seem to remember reading something in the errata about SPIFI. I think it had to do with only being able to boot from it. Something to do with only being able to boot from the lower address numbers. The work around, if I remember, was to make boot code in the initial section of the SPIFI that copies your code out of the Flash and into working ram for you.

Looking at the Users Manual The addresses for SPIFI are:
(64 MB) 0x1400 0000 to 0x17FF FFFF
(128 MB)0x8000 0000 to 0x87FF FFFF (Non debugable area)

The manual doesn't explain a lot about it, but it looks like the first half of the 128 is actually the same data as the first 64 MB (0x1400 0000 to 0x17FF FFFF).
It also says that if you read from these locations that the SPIFI generates the command to do so for you. (It is read only)
You will also have to make sure that your chip works with the command set that the SPIFI uses.

If you learn any more about the SPIFI & serial flash please post about it, as eventually I am going to have to figure it out too.
0 Kudos