How to install sdk under linux

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install sdk under linux

petereisenhuth
Contributor II

I have managed to install the IDE and the update for the new sdk 2.x sdk.

I am at a complete loss regarding installation of the SDK.  I am a new boy regards eclipse and Freescale (now part of NXP) products and the installation procedures leave me baffled and I have not been able to find any guidance on the NXP site.

Installation of the SDK now has me the pulling hair out stage.

I have a couple of questions that I need cleared up.

1.  Is the SDK version 2 really ready? I sk since the page allowing it to be configured for a particular configuration and tool set had the SDK 2 option greyed out ??

2.  f I were to use SDK 2 do I need SDK 1, ie is SDK 2 intended to be an addition to SDK 1 ?

3.  How do I install an SDK?  Does the IDE need to know that it is installed and how do we go about telling it?

I have found many different "how to" videos regarding installing the  IDE and SDK but they have been for Windows and used executables but linux is supplied with archive files and no trace of anything approaching what could possible described as an instruction. So I took a deep breath and tried it with windows in a virtual machine. Alas the NPWforKitesisSDK2.x_V1.1.zip was found not to work under windows and I was told to go to a log file which I have no idea how to find. The file works under linux.  My frustration level is enormous at the moment.  Any assistance that can be given will be immensely appreciated, believe me.

cheers

pete

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
7 Replies

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter.

First of all - thank you for contacting us.

Please, what device we will talk about? and what linux distribution do you use?

1. Yes, SDK is ready.

The greyed option means, that for selected MCU is not this KSDK version supported.

For example, in this case I selected MCU KM34Z256xxx7. But at the moment this MCU is supported only in SDK 1.3, not in SDK 2.0.

sdk_v.png

The list of supported devices

for KSDK 1.3

for KSDK 2.0

• you will find at C:\Freescale\<SDK2.0_package_MCU>\docs\Kinetis SDK v.2.0.0 Release Notes.pdf

for coming KSDK releases

2. No. It is not necessary to install previous KSDK versions.

3. For installing KSDK please see my procedure describes here How to: install KSDK 2.0

For installing Kinetis Design Studio (IDE), please see the KDS User Guide p.6

To install the Kinetis Design Studio software development tools on a Linux system, use

the following package files.

.rpm — Use .rpm to install KDS software tools on systems using the RPM package

manager. For example, Red Hat and CentOS.

.deb — Use .deb to install KDS software tools on systems that use the Debian

package manager. For example, Ubuntu.

installing with Red Hat package manager (RPM)

To install the Kinetis Design Studio software development tools on an Linux Standard

Base (LSB)-compliant system, use the .rpm package file.

$ sudo rpm -Uvh kinetis-design-studio-3.0.0-1.x86_64.rpm

Preparing ... ########################################### [100%]

1: Kinetis Design Studio ########################################### [100%]

This will install the Kinetis Design Studio software development tools to the default

location (/opt/Freescale/KDS_3.0.0).

Installing with Debian package manager (DEB).

To install the Kinetis Design Studio software development tools on Debian-like systems,

including Ubuntu, use the .deb package file.

$ sudo dpkg -i kinetis-design-studio_3.0.0-1_amd64.deb

(Reading database ... .... files and directories currently installed .)

Preparing to replace kinetis-design-studio 3.0.0 (using kinetis-designstudio_

3.0.0-1_amd64 .deb) ...

Unpacking replacement kinetis-design-studio ...

Setting up kinetis-design-studio (3.0.0) ...

This installs the Kinetis Design Studio software development tools to the default location

(/opt/Freescale/KDS_3.0.0).

I hope this helps you.

Please let me know in case of other questions.

Best Regards,

Iva

petereisenhuth
Contributor II

G'day Iva

Thankyou for the reply Iva.

This is my 2nd attempt at a reply.  Having had 70300 pages open at once several times I presumed it was safe to click the advanced editor editor to add a screen shot, but alas no, the whole lot was lost !  I will try again.

I am using Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" distribution with a Cinemon desktop and A KL25Z128VLK processor and a FRDM25Z board.

I had been able to install the KDS successfully, thankyou.  It was the SDK that had be bamboozled.  It was the last step, step 12 which was to sore the SDK somewhere and start using the SDK that had me all up in the air.

In the KDS File-New menu I have 2 menu items for a SDK2.x Project and one for a SDK1.x Project.  Using the SDK1.x option the 3rd screen titled has all the SDK options greyed out. I now suspect that this is because my processor, a KL25Z25Z128VLK is not supported by the SDK.  If that is the case, then tat is that, end of story.  o you know if there is another suitable IDE that is for use on Linux?  Also is there anything to support a KL25...  chip in the way of HAL etc?

Thanyou again for your efforts Iva

cheers

pete

0 Kudos

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter.

No, this is not end of the story :-)

MKL25Z128xxx4 should be supported in KSDK 2.0 Release 2, which we expect in these 14 days.

please see Introducing Kinetis SDK v2

So, you will be able to use KSDK and KDS for your MCU.

I hope this helps.

In case of any issue, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos

petereisenhuth
Contributor II

Iva

That is good news, thanks for letting me know.

Now to do some diving into the documentation.

pete

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

MKL25Z128xxx4 is supported now.

Please check it and let me know.

I hope this helps.

Iva

0 Kudos

petereisenhuth
Contributor II

Iva

Thanks for that.  I have enormous difficulty navigating the website. If I do a web search and search for FRDMKL25Z I get a ling straight to the page. If I then look under the Downloads tab, under the "Recommended Software & Tools" heading are three items, the quick start package, Rev D schematics and Rev E schematics, ie not a word on software or any tool. Then later down the page under the "Schematics" heading the REV D & REV E schematics appear.  To find the software one must follow some convoluted line of reasoning to find any mention of software. 

Only today I stumbled across the SDK project generator, which I thought what was needed to "install" the SDKs, but it is a stand alone application so probably not.  My main problem is that the installation instructions, apart from saying how to compile or configure the SDK and go to the download page and download it.  Then the instruction are a bare INSTALL the bloody thing. Not a word on how, not one iota of how to do this esoteric task !  So I decided to wait for the updated SDK.

In the meantime I went hunting for FRDMKL05Z support.  I could find what the 1.3 SDK update provided support for, but nowhere could I find something to say what the SDK1.3 supported overall. As I said earlier I have enormous difficulty navigating this site.  It all seems to be updated without by each "team" without regard to the overall structure.

I had just about given up on using ANYTHING from NXP because it is all so bloody near impossible !

I did find something else as well that might do the trick but I need to calm down before

i actually try to achieve anything in this regard.

I am not pissed off at you Iva, but I need to let off a huge head of steam somewhere and you are the poor bugger who copped it. Sorry.

0 Kudos

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter.

Thank you for your valuable feedback!

I would like to add some my comments.

• Recommended Software & Tools - yes, you are right that there could be better title, but this is united title for all devices... But - there are precompiled examples and OpenSDA applications in QSP, so the Software title is about right. I will pass this hint to our web team - Recommended Software would be better choice.
  • KSDK Project Generator Tool - you can see the Release Note, which is included into KSDK-Project-Generator folder. Also I create very easy introduction at New Kinetis SDK Project Generator v2 is available! /yes, now is newer version 2.1 but the principle is almost the same.. But you can use KEX tool http://kex.freescale.com/ which is very intuitive.
  • for starting with KSDK is advisable to start with examples, which are delivered with KSDK. There are also readme for each demo and each source code is documented

Anyway.... everytime you can ask for whatever - we are available for you to help!

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos