Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to achieve the KEA128 lowest static current in STOP mode

enwei
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sir,

I'm test the low power mode static current consume in STOP mode with FRDM-KEAZ128Q80 board and demo project--FRDM_KEA128_PMC.zip in S32DS for ARM version from the demo board's Quick Start Package---FRDM-KEA-QSP, attached for your reference. but I got over 220uA( measured with my multimeter )  at jumper J15 with R117 removed, during the STOP mode period in the first 3 seconds as the project configured:

int main (void)
{
uint8_t u8Ch;

/* Perform processor initialization */
ICS_ConfigType ICS_set={0}; /* Declaration of ICS_setup structure */
ICS_set.u8ClkMode=ICS_CLK_MODE_FEI; /* ICS in FLL engaged internal mode*/
ICS_set.bdiv=0;
ICS_Init(&ICS_set); /* Initialization of Core clock at 48 MHz, Bus clock 24 MHz*/

/* UART Initialization */
UART_ConfigType UART_Config={{0}};

UART_Config.sctrl1settings.bits.bM=0; /* 8 bit mode*/
UART_Config.sctrl1settings.bits.bPe=0; /* No hardware parity generation or checking*/
UART_Config.bSbns=0; /* One stop bit*/
UART_Config.sctrl2settings.bits.bRe=1; /* Enable Receiver*/
UART_Config.sctrl2settings.bits.bTe=1; /* Enable Transmitter*/
UART_Config.u32SysClkHz = 24000000; /* Bus clock in Hz*/
UART_Config.u32Baudrate = 115200; /* UART baud rate */

UART_Init(UART2,&UART_Config); /*Initialization of UART utilities*/

CONFIG_PIN_AS_GPIO(PTE,PTE7,OUTPUT); /*Config LED0 as output */

printf("\nRunning the FRDM_KEA128_PMC project.\n\r");

/* PMC Initialization */
PMC_ConfigType PMC_Config={{0}};

PMC_Config.sCtrlstatus.bits.bBandgapEn = 1; /* Enable Bandgap buffer */
PMC_Config.sCtrlstatus.bits.bLvdStopEn = 0; /* Disable Low-Voltage Detect(LVD) in Stop mode */
PMC_Config.sCtrlstatus.bits.bLvdRstEn = 0; /* LVD events do not generate hardware resets. */

PMC_Init(PMC, &PMC_Config); /* Initialization of PMC */
PMC_DisableLVWInterrupt(PMC); /* Disable hardware interrupt requests for LVWF */
u8Ch = PMC_GetLVWFlag(PMC); /* Get the lvw warning flag */

/* Initialize RTC */
RTC_ConfigType RTC_Config={0};

RTC_Config.u16ModuloValue = 3;
RTC_Config.bInterruptEn = 1; /* Enable interrupt */
RTC_Config.bClockSource = RTC_CLKSRC_1KHZ;/* Clock source is 1khz */
RTC_Config.bClockPrescaler = RTC_CLK_PRESCALER_1000; /* Prescaler is 100 */
RTC_SetCallback(RTC_Task);
RTC_Init(&RTC_Config); /* Initialization of RTC */

printf("\nEnter stop mode and will be woken up in about 4s by RTC IRQ.\n\r");
PMC_SetMode(PMC,PmcModeStop3); /* Enable PMC in stop mode */
printf("\nWake up now.\n");

while(1);

return 0;

}

the J15 jumper circuit(I also attached the complete schematic for your reference) for MCU current measurement on FRDM-KEAZ128Q80:

189998_189998.pngpastedImage_5.png

I get the STOP mode current parameters from KEAZ128 datasheet(S9KEA128P80M48SF0, KEA128 Sub-Family Data Sheet - Data Sheet (REV 4))as below:

189999_189999.pngpastedImage_9.png

its typical STOP mode current should be 2 uA, so my test result has big gap.

Could you help to check it?  How can we achieve the expected low power static current,  and it's better to made a demo project for me to get the 2uA static current in STOP mode if possible.

Thanks very much~!

Best regard,

Enwei Hu(胡恩伟)

Original Attachment has been moved to: FRDM_KEA128_PMC.zip

0 Kudos
21 Replies

allenyu
Contributor II

Dear Sirs,

Do you have KEA128 Temperature VS Current curve in STOP mode?

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Allen,

Unfortunately, we still don't have that the curve, if you have interest, you can test it on your side directly.

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello E.W. Hu,

I just take this question.

Now, please cut the wire between J106, also cut the wire between J8, leave J106 and J8 open, then test it again, the power consumption should be in the range which is defined by the datasheet  .

Please test it again on your side with me advice.

If you still have question, please kindly let me know!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

chenni
Contributor I

Hi kerry

I follow your tips but found no j106 in schematic, Could u explain why u do that?

What cause the current go high?

Our customer are evaluating this chip ,Could u upload a project whic can justify the 2uA .

Nicky

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi chen ni,

What the schematic you are referring, I talked about the FRDM-KEA128, what the board you are using?

You can create a new question post by yourself, then we will reply you directly in your own question post.

Please tell me your board, then I will test it on my side.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

chenni
Contributor I

Hi kerry ,

the same puzzle  that  E.W. Hu encountered .

i am also testing the  FRDM-KEA128 stop current .

so i follow this post ,could u explain your solution more explicitly.

thank for your attraction!

Nicky

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nicky,

I will test the FRDM-KEA128 on my side, then tell you the details in the last week(Because of China Tomb-sweeping Day), please wait patiently.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

chenni
Contributor I

dear kerry

after China Tomb-sweeping Day  ,my questions  still linger,please 麻梨儿的help me see see

3xs

nicky

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello nicky,

Please check this test result:

low power.jpg

1.6uA in stop mode, meet the datasheet's data.

Please follow me to realize it.

1. Board hardware configuration.

Remove the R117,cut the wire between J8, J106,

2, Download my attached project, which enter the stop mode.

At first, you need to use jumper to connect J8 and J106, just to download the code.

After you download the code, please remove the jumper between J8 and J106, this is very important.

My attached code is the S32DS project, it's modified from the FRDM-KEA128 driver code.

3. After download the code, please power off the board, then power on it again, this is very important.

After the above 3 points, you can test the power consumption in J15,  you will find the current consumption is 1.6uA.

Please check it on your side, I already make it work.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question about it, please kindly let me know!

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

chenni
Contributor I

dear kerry 

thank u so much for your spectacular solution. your kindness  just revolution my thought of nxp assitance staff,i thought u folks are shringking somewhere and doing some ping-pong game.But now u change my mind ,and by the way  i saw a trk- board show on your desk ,could u do me a favour show me how to realise it in that platform . i know my request is little ..... like hand and hands tutorial,whatever ,it is up to u,i already confirm the data.

best regards

nicky

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi nicky,

Just as one old chinese saying goes"送佛送到西", please check my TRK-KEA128 test result, method can be find in the last reply.

TRK-KEA128.jpg

Wish it helps you!

Next time, if you have question, please create the new case, don't follow other customer's case, we will help you in your post.

If you still want me to reply you, you can @ me.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

ruijuzhang
Contributor I

I use TRK-KEA128 REV D,Remove R76,measure result is  about 250uA,why?

111.png

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ruiju,

Use my test code in the above reply, download the code, then power off the board, power on it again, then test the power consumption.

I also have tested the TRK board, the power consumption is correct.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

ruijuzhang
Contributor I

I did what you say. 

Differences:

you say: TRK-KEA128 (REV D)is very simple, find J17, remove R70, put your current meter in J17.

I remove   R76 .

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi RuiJu,

Sorry, it's absolutely my mistyping, yes, it should be R76, thanks for pointing out it.

After you download the code, do you power off the board, and power on it again? Don't just use reset button.

Besides, you need to use my attached code, do you use my code?

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

chenni
Contributor I

dear kerry 

thank u so much for your solid assistance.believe me the test u made today will contribute million dollar business in automobile industry.

please allow me to call u mcu master .

have a nice day !

nicky

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nicky,

Thanks a lot for your understanding, actually, each day, we have a lot of cases and customers need to do the test, so normally we will give you some advice at first, if you still can't realize it, we will put your test request in the queue, then test one by one, that will need time.

About the TRK-KEA128, yes, I already test it when I do the FRDM-KEA128 STOP test yesterday,  TRK-KEA128 (REV D)is very simple, find J17, remove R76, put your current meter in J17, then download my code(then same as the FRDM-KEA128), power off the board, and power on it again, you will get the according current consumption, you can test it on your side.

Any updated question, just let me know!

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nicky,

Checking it right now!

I find the VDD_MCU still have about 2.5V after I remove the R117,R18.R24,R54, cut the wire between J8, J106.

I think this is the reason which caused the wrong power consumption, so I still need time to find why VDD_MCU have 2.5V after I disconnect it from the VDD.

I need to remove more external resistor, if you have time, you also can try it on your side, or wait patiently, any updated information from my side, I will let you know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

chenni
Contributor I

dear kerry

i am very very happy to notic that u still focus my puzzle,as u mentioned,it is hard to test the current on the frdm-kea128 ,so i transfer to trk-KEA128 kits, so i recommend u test this board  .

thank u so much for u professional reply!

Nicky

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nicky,

Thank you for your updated information.

FRDM-KEA128 is not complicated, just need to do the hardware configuration, and after downloading the code to the chip, you need to repower on it, anyway, TRK-KEA128 is really more simple to test :smileyhappy:

Wish it helps you!

If you have the new question in the future, welcome to create you own question post!

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos