clock() Always Returns 32. Bug or Feature?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clock() Always Returns 32. Bug or Feature?

Frotz
Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

I've been experiencing some strangeness w.r.t. using clock() in Kinetis projects. I'm using MCUXpresso IDE 11.3.0 with a FRDM-KE15Z & FRDM-KL26Z in C++. I'm using clock() as a means of measuring processing work. When I call it while running the program on the board using the IDE and onboard debug probe through GDB, everything's just fine—I get meaningful results from clock(). When I disconnect the probe and run the program on its own, but view output using the IDE's Terminal tab, clock() ALWAYS returns 32.

This is odd behaviour! But it kind-of looks like a feature: you can tell if you've got an active probe into the program this way.

Do you know what's going on?

To reproduce this you'll need a Kinetis board like I'm using. Create a New C++ project in MCUXpresso using the wizard. Use the defaults for everything, except choose "C++ Project" and then: "NewlibNano (semihost)" in the Advanced project settings.

Replace the PRINTF… line in main() to:

printf("Hello World, let's check clock()\n");
DbgConsole_Printf("Dbg:Hello World, let's check clock()\r\n");

while(1) {
    clock_t cpuTime=clock();

if (cpuTime==32) {
        printf("clock is thirty-two!\n");
        DbgConsole_Printf("Dbg:clock is thirty-two!\r\n");
    } else {
        printf("clock is:%ld\n",cpuTime);
        DbgConsole_Printf("Dbg:clock is:%ld\r\n",cpuTime);
    }
}

Make sure SDK_DEBUGCONSOLE is defined as 1 somewhere so DbgConsole_Printf will work. (Near the very top of fsl_debug_console.h is a good place.) Finally, add: #include <time.h> at the top of the file with main().

Before running it, hook up the board to your computer and run Terminal with the IDE. Connect it to the board and keep the window handy. Now run the app using the IDE and show the console. You'll see something that looks a whole lot like the picture below—both Console & Terminal are in perfect sync. Once you have that, stop the debugger in the IDE by hitting the red square "stop" button. Don't reset the board or anything like that—the program is still running. The console stops printing, but the Terminal continues. Except now the terminal prints only "Dbg:clock is thirty two!" If you disconnect the board and shut down the IDE and use some other terminal program attached to the now fully power-cycled board, you'll also ONLY see "Dbg:clock is thirty two!" as shown in the second picture below.

I'd like to get clock() working as it should. But I can't figure this one out.

Your help is REALLY appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Andre.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Frotz ,

Let me express myself in the right way, is correct, the application should continue to run fine. But as your application is running a clock function it can be affected by the delays of the operation of the Semihost printf. This could be causing the clock message that you are receiving, I really recommend for your application the use UART configuration rather than Semihosting.

0 Kudos

nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Frotz ,

When you have linked with the semihosting library, your application will no longer work standalone - it will only work when connected to the debugger. So this might be causing the discrepancies during your performance, if you will like to work out of a debug session I will recommend to use a  terminal mode instead of the semihosting.

Semihosting operations cause the CPU to drop into "debug state", which means that for the duration of the data transfer between the target and the host PC no code (including interrupts) will get executed on the target.

0 Kudos

Frotz
Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If the program wasn't working because it wasn't disconnected from the debugger, why is it still working? The printing continues as before, just the clock() function doesn't work properly. If I had LED's blinking, they would blink with the debugger attached or not. It seems the program is partly working. Why is it just the clock() function (in this example) that doesn't work? What else doesn't work properly in this "mode."

Thank you very much,

Andre.

0 Kudos

myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

@Frotz 

I don't think @nxf77486 is correct - when you have semihosting and disconnect, the application continues to run fine and will restarrt if you hardware reset it. 

However, I'm not sure if there are extra delays caused by printf code that doesn't get responses from debugger hardware.  

0 Kudos