cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWR-KV58F220M Quick Start Guide

sha
Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I've been going through the quick start guide for the TWR-KV58F220M and I'm currently stuck on step 5 where I have to program the board over OpenSDA.

Currently I've downloaded and installed:

• MCUXpresso IDE
  • mbed serial drivers
  • TWR-KV58F220M SDK
  • FreeMaster 2.0

I've also verified that the jumpers are correct.

The issue is that when I plug the board into my laptop it doesn't appear as a MBED Drive and the virtual COM Port isn't created. But the LED blinks when I tilt the board so I know that the MCU is working and is running the demo code. I've tried going through the OpenSDA documentation and I've found that my bootlader doesn't match what is shown in the documentation (Figure 2).

Bootloader.jpg

Figure 1. Bootloader from my TWR-KV58220M board

pastedImage_3.png

Figure 2. Bootloader shown in the OpenSDA documentation 

I've tried copying bootloader files for J-link and the default Open SDA but to no avail. Any insight into my problem would be appreciated. Also I should be able to get around this issue by using a compatible programmer right?

Thanks

Labels (1)
4 Replies

sha
Contributor II

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for the thorough guide and quick response. I followed your steps and I'm able to program my board now. It seems that I was downloading the signature file of the firmware before instead of the actual firmware.

- Steven Ha

nxf51211
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Steven,

If I understand your issue correctly, is that when you plug the board into your laptop it doesn't appear as a MBED Drive and the virtual COM Port isn't created. If that is the case, then in order to achieve this when you plug your board into your PC you have to enter ISP mode with the board (unplug the board from your pc, press the reset button and then plug the board again while keeping the button pressed).

Please correct me if I did not understand the issue correctly, and I hope this answer can help you.

Best Regards,

Ricardo Delsordo

0 Kudos

sha
Contributor II

Hi Ricardo,

Yes this is my underlying issue, which would then prevent me from programming the board over OpenSDA. I have already done what you suggested since this was how I got the the bootloader drive I showed in my post. My computer does recognize the board as a MBED device but no virtual COM Port is created. 

Thanks

Steven Ha

0 Kudos

nxf51211
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Steven,

Here is what I did in order to have to COM Port created for the board:

1) Go to the following link: https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/run-time-software/kinetis-developer-resources/ides-f... 

2) Select the TWR-KV58 Board and click to the Segger Jlink V2_1 Option:

pastedImage_2.png

3) Download OpenSDA V2.1 Bootloader from the J-Link OpenSDA - Generic Firmwares (you'll find this at the link you are redirected when selecting the option mentioned in the previous step):

pastedImage_4.png

4) Connect your board to your PC with ISP mode and drag/copy the bin downloaded in the previous step into the BOOTLOADER of the board:

pastedImage_6.png

5) Unplug and plug the board again, and you should see that the virtual COM Port is now created (COM 11):

pastedImage_7.png

pastedImage_9.png

I hope this small guide can help you with your issue.

Best Regards,

Ricardo Delsordo