cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking FRDM K64F and OM5578 and SE050ARD arduino shields

Jump to solution
douglas_tan
Contributor I

I'm a newcomer to embedded electronics and have read some introductions about SPI/I2C/UART on sparkfun.

I'll like to know whether the OM5578 (PN7150) and SE050ARD Arduino shields can be stacked together on a Freedom K64F devboard. 

I tried looking at the schematics in AN12395 and UM10935 and it looks like I2C is used by both the OM5578 and SE050ARD via the Arduino header to the K64F. I2C is supposed to manage multiple slaves (OM5578 / SE050ARD) connected to the master (K64F) so would there be any bus contention issues here? Also would it be safe (i.e avoid damaging the devboards) to stack the 3 boards together?

I found  https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-344305 which does something similar. Would this be applicable to my scenario here?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Douglas,

I received confirmation on the following:

1. Make sure that both shields are configured as slaves and the master is K64. 

2. The SE050 has an NFC tag, please keep this in mind when using the PN7150 since if it is enabled it will always be reading that tag.

Other than that there should not be a problem

Best Regards,

Sabina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Douglas,

Hope you are doing well.

I am confirming this information for you. However, from a first look it doesn't look like there should be any problem connecting the three as it should not demand much current consumption. I'd like to ask you if you were able to get the SE050ARD working with the K64 board on their own? 

I believe it will be the jumper configuration on the SE050RD board that will allow further I2C communication with the PN7150. I will update you on this once I get confirmation if this is correct.

Hope it helps!

Sabina

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

0 Kudos
douglas_tan
Contributor I

Hey Sabina,

I can confirm that the SE050ARD works with the K64 board on its own. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Douglas,

I received confirmation on the following:

1. Make sure that both shields are configured as slaves and the master is K64. 

2. The SE050 has an NFC tag, please keep this in mind when using the PN7150 since if it is enabled it will always be reading that tag.

Other than that there should not be a problem

Best Regards,

Sabina

0 Kudos
BANGYUD
Contributor I

halo, i got error when intergrated pn7150 with arduino , can you help me, i can't read the tag type B 

0 Kudos
douglas_tan
Contributor I

Thanks for looking into this Sabina. I resorted to connecting the 3 boards onto a breadboard to test and verified that there's no issue with i2c connectivity in this setup.

0 Kudos
douglas_tan
Contributor I

Looking up the docs, it looks like the OM5578 and SE050 use different I2C addresses. So I stacked them together with the OM5578 on top of the SE050. 

However, there's apparently an issue with this as I'm unable to run the NXPNCI example for K64F

Running the NXP-NCI project.
Error: cannot connect to NXPNCI device

This same example runs as expected when the OM5578 is connected to the K64F directly. Is there anywhere I should start looking?

0 Kudos