Saving struct to flash memory using FlashProgram

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving struct to flash memory using FlashProgram

piotrcerba
Contributor III

Hello, I have a following problem. I want to save my own struct using the flash_demo example from SDK.

I am using FlashProgram function for that purpose.

What have I tried:

Here is my code (the rest of SDK flash_demo remains unchanged):

typedef struct

{

int x, y;

char name[40];

} myStruct;

int main(void)

{

/*rest of example code*/

myStruct first = { .x = 1, .y = 123, .name = "George" };

/*rest of example code*/

/********************************************************************

*   For devices without SWAP, program some data for demo purposes

*********************************************************************/

destination = flashSSDConfig.PFlashBase + (flashSSDConfig.PFlashSize - 6*FTFx_PSECTOR_SIZE);

end = flashSSDConfig.PFlashBase + (flashSSDConfig.PFlashSize - 4*FTFx_PSECTOR_SIZE);

/*for (i = 0; i < BUFFER_SIZE_BYTE; i++)

{

Set source buffer

program_buffer[i] = i + 100;

}*/

size = sizeof (myStruct);//BUFFER_SIZE_BYTE;

/* message for user */

PRINTF("\n\n\r---->Running FlashProgram() and FlashProgramCheck()...");

while ((destination + (size)) < end)

{

ret = FlashProgram(&flashSSDConfig, destination, size, \

first, g_FlashLaunchCommand);

if (FTFx_OK != ret)

{

ErrorTrap(ret);

}

/*rest of example code*/

Unfortunately this gives an error:

D:/Freescale/SDK/examples/frdmkl43z/demo_apps/flash_demo/main.c:354:9: error: incompatible type for argument 4 of 'FlashProgram'

1. Does it mean I am not able to save struct in flash memory? (somewhat contrary to what Mike Butcher said here -> Reading flash - why not by normal memory access? )

2. Is there any way to transform any structure to uint8_t* which is required by FlashProgram?

I will be very grateful for any suggestions!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Piotr Cerba:

Bob Paddock is correct, the FlashProgram() function of the driver expects a pointer to a raw array of bytes, not a structure. You can cast the parameter to match the uint8_t* expected by the driver, like this:

FlashProgram(&flashSSDConfig, destAdrss, sizeof(first), (uint8_t*)&first, g_FlashLaunchCommand);

This is what I get in KDS with GCC using your code (except that I used address 0x80000) and considering that the ARM Cortex-M core in Kinetis uses little endianness:

pastedImage_5.png

Since the structure is stored in Flash in the same order as the variable in RAM, then you can retrieve the data from flash by using a simple pointer to the same kind of structure, something like this:

typedef struct

{

int x, y;

char name[40];

} myStruct, *myStructPtr;

//...

myStruct first = { .custom = "ON", .x = 1, .y = 123, .name = "George" };

myStructPtr firstPtr = (myStructPtr)0x80000;

//...

destAdrss = 0x80000;

FlashProgram(&flashSSDConfig, destAdrss, sizeof(first), (uint8_t*)&first, g_FlashLaunchCommand);

//Erasing "first"

first.x = 0;

first.y = 0;

//Recovering "first"

first.x = firstPtr -> x;

first.y = firstPtr -> y;

:smileyalert: Note that the core processor is 32-bit (4 bytes), but the smallest programming size for the flash memory controller in K64 (FTFE) is 8-bytes (phrase). Therefore the flash driver expects that the size parameter is a multiple of 8 and the dest address parameter is aligned to an 8-bytes boundary. The size of your structure is 40 + 4 + 4 = 48 bytes, which is good, but if you add more members and the size is not a multiple of 8, then you may need to add padding bytes, considering that the compiler may add its own padding bytes to a member which is not 4-bytes long, as mentioned by Bob.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

I don't know what FlashProgram wants.  Would it want &first?

However using structures in this way is not recommended due to how the compiler might pack the structures.

A structure may have hidden bytes to maintain alignment.  ARM natively normally aligns to four byte boundaries.

offsetof() in <stddef.h> can be helpful in (de)serializing structures for storage and transmission.

0 Kudos