cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding Motor control using FRDM-KL25Z

Jump to solution
bargavipichai
Contributor I

I need to write a simple program to control a motor using FRDM-KL25Z evaluation board. I am new to this and I have few questions regarding that..

1. Can I connect a motor directly on my board without using motor driver. If so what kind of motor is compatible with the above mentioned board.

2. If I have to connect a motor through motor driver or motor sheild  what kind of motor sheild is compatible with the above mentioned board.

3. I have the evaluation board where can I get motor sheild and motors. Is there any tutorial available for simple motor control programs..

I have also created a service requests for this issue  service req. no. 1-1094510216 , 1-1094337910 I think tech support closed it but I didnt get any answer..

Can someone please answer these questions that would be really helpful.. Thanks a lot!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

for 1): the general answer is no, you cannot connect a motor directly to the board. Because the motor will need too much current.

for 2): Many are compatible. You just need to verify that they work for 3.3V operation. Some motor shields need 5V logic levels, and without a level shifter, they will not work.

for 3): simply search the internet and look at your prefered provider. There are many, many.

But if you want to see what I'm using, here are a few links:

The Freedom Zumo Robot | MCU on Eclipse

Tutorial: Arduino Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield – Part 1: Servos | MCU on Eclipse

Tutorial: Arduino Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield – Part 2: Timed Servo Moves | MCU on Eclipse

Tutorial: Arduino Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield – Part 3: 74HCT595 Shift Register | MCU on Eclipse

Freedom Track Robot with IEEE802.15.4/SMAC | MCU on Eclipse

Maze solving FRDM-KL25Z Robot goes backward for Dead-Ends | MCU on Eclipse

Pololu Line Following Robot with Freedom Board | MCU on Eclipse

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

for 1): the general answer is no, you cannot connect a motor directly to the board. Because the motor will need too much current.

for 2): Many are compatible. You just need to verify that they work for 3.3V operation. Some motor shields need 5V logic levels, and without a level shifter, they will not work.

for 3): simply search the internet and look at your prefered provider. There are many, many.

But if you want to see what I'm using, here are a few links:

The Freedom Zumo Robot | MCU on Eclipse

Tutorial: Arduino Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield – Part 1: Servos | MCU on Eclipse

Tutorial: Arduino Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield – Part 2: Timed Servo Moves | MCU on Eclipse

Tutorial: Arduino Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield – Part 3: 74HCT595 Shift Register | MCU on Eclipse

Freedom Track Robot with IEEE802.15.4/SMAC | MCU on Eclipse

Maze solving FRDM-KL25Z Robot goes backward for Dead-Ends | MCU on Eclipse

Pololu Line Following Robot with Freedom Board | MCU on Eclipse

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
bargavipichai
Contributor I

Hi Erich-

As I already mentioned in my above email, I need to write a simple program to control a motor using FRDM-KL25Z evaluation board.

I got this seeed studio expand arduino motor sheild and a micro servo motor(voltage 4.8-6V) from radio shack

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/grove-motor-shield.aspx?feed=Froogle&gclid=CNK09rzutbgCFWUV7AodVk8A... ( I think this is the only model that is available in the store )

In the motor sheild it is mentioned as

"The motor sheild is a perfect platform for robotics and mechanical applications. It enables the arduino to drivetwo brushed DC motors or one 4-wire two-phase stepper motor. Based on the L298N H-bridge motor driver a 6-15 volt external supply powers the motor. It also includes 5 volt voltage regulator for powering the main arduino board. It includes an onboard 5-volt voltage regulator for powering the main Arduino board.Additional plug and play grove sensors can be connected to the 13 on board Grove connectors.

Features:

Standard Arduino Compatible.

PWM speed control mode.

4-direction indicator lights.

Compatible with Grove plug and play sensors.

Extra large heat sink helps handle big loads.

Supports upto 14 servos.

! This product is not intended to as a standalone product requires Arduino or Seeed components to work".

It means I should not connect the servo motor directly to this motor sheild right?. Have you used this board ? Can I connect the servo motor to this board and control using FRDM-KL25Z?

I looked for the exact same Arduino Motor Sheild you have mentioned in your tutorial part-1 but it is not available in radio shack. Can I find it in any retail stores because in Adafruit it will take around 10 business days to become available.

I don't have any electricals background I am really sorry to bother you with the simple question. I just don't want to blow my board. If possible, can you please help me with this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Bargavi.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bargavi,

are you talking about DC motors or (hobby) servo motors?

These are two completely different concepts.

For DC motors you need a H-Bridge such as an LH298N (there are many, many similar ones available).

A small hobby servo you could attach directly to the FRDM board, as long it is not dawing too much current. In any case you can use a separate 5V supply or battery for a servo motor.

If you want to rely on Radio Shack for such electronics supply, I think that typically will not work. Get things from one of the many online stores, and many give you same-day-shipping.

As you are new to electronics, have a look at the forum and ressources sites e.g. at pololu.com: they cover many aspects and question you are asking in their tutorials. Or have a look at sparkfun.com too: both ship very fast.

I hope this helps.

Erich

0 Kudos
bargavipichai
Contributor I

Hi Erich-

I am planning to buy the below female headers to connect 1 servo motor to FRDM-KL25Z evaluation board. Can you please review and let me know if this is the correct header? Should I have to connect external power supply to connect 1 servo motor [voltage: 4.8-6V]? if yes can you please tell me how to connect it to FRDM-KL25Z board?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/3M-Electronic-Solutions-Division/929870-01-01-RA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs...

Thanks a lot for your time.

Regards

Bargavi

0 Kudos
bargavipichai
Contributor I

Hi Erich-

Thanks for the reply and usefull links!

Regards

Bargavi

0 Kudos