Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Expert vs traditional coding

Jump to solution
hesamakbarian
Contributor II

Hi,

I am a new user of Freescale and ARM, and was wondering if anybody suggest me either expert people usually use processor expert to generate codes or they write their own program like traditional approaches.

Thank you,

Bests

1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Hesam:

In my humble opinion the decision depends on you, and expert people uses either of both approaches.

Processor Expert is a very useful tool and lets you do amazing things in a matter of minutes. It provides you with a huge set of already made code packages, drivers, macros, and more, so you just need literally a few clicks, add some code and you are ready to go. The negative point is that eventually the drivers generated by processor expert might not fit your application, and you have to modify them, disable code generation and at the end of the day you are reading the MCU manual.

If you are up to decide on using Processor Expert, I highly suggest to check the "MCU on Eclipse" blog, in which our colleague Erich Styger has been doing an extraordinary work and you will find lots of tutorials and examples developed with and without Processor Expert. Here is the link:

MCU on Eclipse | Everything on Eclipse, Microcontrollers and Software

On the other hand, if you have the patience and are good at reading and understanding all kinds of stuff, such as a reference manual crowded with information, then traditional coding is the option for you, as it brings you full control of your application code, which is always good, as you know exactly what your device is doing and how it is doing it.

Again, this is my opinion, so I hope it somehow serves you.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Hesam:

In my humble opinion the decision depends on you, and expert people uses either of both approaches.

Processor Expert is a very useful tool and lets you do amazing things in a matter of minutes. It provides you with a huge set of already made code packages, drivers, macros, and more, so you just need literally a few clicks, add some code and you are ready to go. The negative point is that eventually the drivers generated by processor expert might not fit your application, and you have to modify them, disable code generation and at the end of the day you are reading the MCU manual.

If you are up to decide on using Processor Expert, I highly suggest to check the "MCU on Eclipse" blog, in which our colleague Erich Styger has been doing an extraordinary work and you will find lots of tutorials and examples developed with and without Processor Expert. Here is the link:

MCU on Eclipse | Everything on Eclipse, Microcontrollers and Software

On the other hand, if you have the patience and are good at reading and understanding all kinds of stuff, such as a reference manual crowded with information, then traditional coding is the option for you, as it brings you full control of your application code, which is always good, as you know exactly what your device is doing and how it is doing it.

Again, this is my opinion, so I hope it somehow serves you.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez