cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PK60F120M Reset pin oscillating

Jump to solution
keithtang
Contributor IV

I thought I should start a new topic instead of replying to member's post to get attention.

I am having problem with my PK60F120M (mask code 1N96B) chips. They are oscillating at 1.45 KHz (sawtooth wave swings from 0 V to 1.6V). I tried all suggestions given by other members, such as holding the reset pin while powering up, reduce the power up slew rate, pull the EZ_CS pin high, etc without success.

I have sent direct request to Freescale technical support with no answer after 48 hours. The FAE can't give positive suggestion too. We are basically left in the dark.

I need the solution urgently, please can someone help.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
weblar
Contributor V

I was originally using an IAR I-jet however I had lots of problems trying to program the device with it. I now use a J-Link EDU to program and debug the chip and it works perfectly. I know that the Segger website has a comparison of the various J-Link flavours but from my perspective, the EDU version has all the features I need.

By version of header, I was referring to whether you were using a MIPI-20 or MIPI-10 connector.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
UK_CF_FAE
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

On a blank device, all of the flash memory sits at the erased state 0xFF (except address 0x0000_040C FSEC which is 0xFE).

You fit the device to your board, and apply power. The core goes to 0x0000_0000 to fetch the initial stack pointer and 0x0000_0004 to fetch the reset vector. Both of these read 0xFFFF-FFFF and so these are illegal addresses. The chip ultimately resets, and starts all over again.

The symptom is that the reset line oscillates as the chip runs (reset high) then resets (reset low). It's not unexpected.

wiilliam_powell
Contributor I

Mark,

We are seeing the same issue on a K70 target design (reset is inactive for ~2us, then is active for ~50us, repeating).  When we connect an IAR I-Jet, the IAR debugger is unable to complete the reset sequence to download code to the part.  How does one get the part initially programmed?

Our JTAG interface (on our target board) is identical to the TWR-K70F120M.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
deepakrana
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

First thing you have to do is get the Jlink command line utility. If you have and IAR installation then in the installation path \Embedded Workbench 6.4_2\arm\bin  you will find the Jlink.exe.

Now power your board with the J-link connected. Press the reset pin, holding the reset pin down power cycle your board and with the reset pin held low you run the Jlink.exe. If your debug interface is correct on the command window you will see the message that J-link communication was established with the controller.

You can release the reset pin now.

In the command prompt you type "Unlock Kineits". this will un secure the controller and now you should be able to program.

After this close the Jlink window and start again to see that it gives the JTAG communication okay messages or prompts any error.

now your reset should not toggle any more.

wiilliam_powell
Contributor I

Deepak,

Thanks for your response. We will give this a try. We were using an I-Jet and having the problem connecting. This morning, we tried connecting with a J-Link and were able to get the unit programmed. Looks like there might be some difference between the I-Jet and J-Link and how the debuggers take control of the micro.

Thanks for your help,

William (Bill) Powell | Principal Software Engineer

Indesign, LLC | •: 8225 E 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46216 | • Office: 317-377-5439 | 7 Fax: 317-377-5455

www.Indesign-LLC.com<http://www.indesign-llc.com/>;

0 Kudos
keithtang
Contributor IV

Thanks for the info, Mark.

0 Kudos
weblar
Contributor V

I've also had a problem with the RESET_B pin on my PK60FN1M0VLQ12 device however my FAE put it down to it being a blank device. Once programmed, the signal stops oscillating.

I'm presuming that yours still does it even when programmed?

For reference, my device has the same mask code as yours.

keithtang
Contributor IV

Thanks for the reply, Kevin.

Yes it is blank. My problem is that I cannot programme it.. I should say I cannot not even establish connection with it. I am using Multilink FX via CodeWarrior. I captured the TCK and TDI signals from Multilink but do not see TDO signal from Kinetis.

Which programming tool are you using?

0 Kudos
weblar
Contributor V

I'm using IAR EWARM with a Segger J-Link however I had to resort to using the Segger J-Flash software to program it as the version of IAR I had installed wouldn't let me program the device.

What version of the JTAG header are you using? I'm using the 9 pin version and it is now working perfectly.

keithtang
Contributor IV

Yeah. I have read about J-Link is able to solve the problem with the latest firmware, although I wonder how they do it. I have never used J-Link before and was hesitating if i should get a J-Link EDU (instead of J-Link, as it is a bit pricy) to try. Do you think J-Link EDU does the same job?

I don't get you. What do you mean by "version of JTAG header"?

0 Kudos
weblar
Contributor V

I was originally using an IAR I-jet however I had lots of problems trying to program the device with it. I now use a J-Link EDU to program and debug the chip and it works perfectly. I know that the Segger website has a comparison of the various J-Link flavours but from my perspective, the EDU version has all the features I need.

By version of header, I was referring to whether you were using a MIPI-20 or MIPI-10 connector.

0 Kudos
keithtang
Contributor IV

OK I think I will get the EDU then. Thanks for the answer.

BTW, I am using MIPI-20 connector.

0 Kudos