Non volatile memory application

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non volatile memory application

saipriyasubrama
Contributor II

I am looking for a microcontroller for a project which uses a counter for counting and I want the count value retained even when the power is switched off. (i.e) the counter should pickup from where it left off. Is there an inexpensive NXP microcontroller for my application? What I need is a non volatile memory to be exact. Do I have to splurge by using a microcontroller where the program memory is stored in FRAM. Suggestions appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

egoodii
Senior Contributor III

There are a lot of 'unknowns' here for us.

The 'biggest trouble' with such storage-concepts is taking care of the timeframe while losing power.  IF you have 'plenty of warning' about power-fail, so as to avoid update from there-on, you can use any number of NVM options.

The 'easiest option' is to use the RTC-block and Vbat register-file therein as battery-backed storage.  Even then you might keep two (vote with 3?) copies to compare to each other.  But you might only accept that budget-item if RTC is otherwise useful --- and of course you will lose it all if the battery is pulled or fails...

If you are looking at some form of EEPROM, things get a little more complicated.  Firstly write-time, relative to such power-off-notification, is MUCH longer.  You may have to assume that the write can out-and-out fail on you.  The other factor is overall wearout --- EEPROM is write-cycle-limited, and while you don't give any indication of 'how often' you need to update this count, one approach to 'both problems' is to allocate a 'string' of individually-writable-locations, and set them sequentially to 'zero' at each 'tick event' you are counting, and have a 'group' of these which count each 'significant digit' in a complete 'counter' --- when your 'least significant digit' block is finally 'all zero', clear a zero in the 'next digit block', then if that succeeds erase the whole 'least significant block' and let that digit start-over.  At each power-up you just scan the least-block to find the 'next virginal location' and that will be your 'next to be zeroed'.  In this way you have divided the 'wear' by the number of items in a block, AND if any individual write is 'corrupted', you will either 'still see it erased' OR in some interim non-erased state, and either way should give you a 'valid enough' count of total cycles that have elapsed.

0 Kudos