cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MK60 Availability

tommy_1988
Contributor II

Hi there

Cannot seem to get a hard answer from an NXP employee about the status of these ICs (specifically the MK60DN512VMD10) or market availability. We have this designed into several of our products, but see a continuing lead time of 52-weeks. This was the same as last year so looks like its just been pushed out and out.

There is severe price gouging going on in the market. We paid approx £10/IC originally back in 2017, and are now looking at £500+/IC.

Can anyone at NXP give an accurate estimating of market availability. I know there are supply issues going on, but have you killed this device off? Are you ever planning on making any more? Should I be looking to design this out of the systems I work with?

Thanks, Tom

0 Kudos
3 Replies

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III
Alas there are no such answers to be found on the form here.

The NXP technical support people that have started hanging out here have no more insight than you or I to the management level decisions as to what products to actually build and ship. The standing answer is "Contact your distributor". Which I know you've done. As we all have. Distribution just relays what NXP tells them.

Speaking strictly for myself, I will not be designing with any more NXP products.

Interestingly

Jim Hoffmann, Product Manager, NXP Semiconductor

is giving a seminar next week on long term availability of their i.MX product line. Seemingly implying it will be around for a while. The registration link says they will be taking questions...

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/1115935463516809823?source=Eloqua&elq_mid=9303&elq_cid=106...
0 Kudos

tommy_1988
Contributor II

Yup, we checked with our distributors. They are just as in the dark as we are!

We are moving away from NXP too, we had difficulty trying to obtain IMX6 ics a few years back, and are paying through the nose for MK60 devices.

As you can appreciate, changing platforms (to say microchip) is no easy task and from a product investment perspective, offers the end-user no additional features for the effort required by engineering to switch platforms (other than been able to continue to supply product).

Wont be using NXP in the future!

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

I'm looking at the RP2040 as most of my concerns are cycle accurate sound generation.  Someone has figured out how to do polyphonic sound using its state machine module.

What I've learned is to use a good hardware abstraction layer to ease the pain of moving between micros.

0 Kudos