Kinetis roadmap (availability, longevity, etc)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis roadmap (availability, longevity, etc)

Uzi
Contributor II

Can someone refer me to the roadmap of this family?

Before selecting this family for a new project, I want to verify that I'm not using old device that will be soon EOL and also to verify if there is SW compatibility to the Kinetis K22 used right now.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies

troelsoesteraa
Contributor III

The K22 series was introduced somewhere in 2014 - they are covered in the longevity programme, and will be "active" until 2029. However, as bobpaddock mentioned, NXP has demonstrated no fulfilment of open orders. New stock from 2021 does exist, but from the grey market in China. Price for one MK22FN256VLL12 is about $200-400, with MOQ of 450.

This behavior has forced us to completely leave NXP. Other companies have problems as well, but they stick to confirmed dates for delivery and actually are communicative about their situation, unlike Sievers and NXP.

0 Kudos

ToniZollikofer
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello all,

while we can understand that the delivery situation in the semiconductor industry is currently very painful and NXP like basically everyone else is hit by the capacity bottlenecks not allowing us to satisfy the demand.

But let me point out that all our product forums have the idea of being for technical discussions and building a knowledge base.

Any availability related question (being it for real quantities but also samples, documentation etc.) are always applying to the moment and will be irrelevant to readers in a while from now. Frankly: such content really does spoil the quality of search results for technical answers.

Our policy is not to shut-up people nor delete posts, but I do suggest to keep the product forums dedicated to technical knowledge. 

Hope you agree!

Thanks,

Toni

0 Kudos

brock
Contributor II

EOL (End Of Life) is 2029. 

But EOA (End Of Availability) was 2020.

Kinetis may still be alive, but they have killed off their entire customer base by choking off their availability for 3 years.

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

NXP actions have demonstrated they have little interest in this old family that they inherited when they bought Freescale.   They have been recommending people move to the i.MX (RT) family or the older LPC family.

I would check the availability of any part in today's world.